what are your top "audio bargins" in your system history?

It is great to have all the money you need to have the best and endless upgrading.  But what about the components you've had that were inexpensive that turned out to be favorites of yours?

jusam

I search for deals anytime I buy anything, which generally helps me get something twice as good as I can actually afford at that time.  My two favorite finds were completely by accident though.  One was a Dual record player that was in the prop room at our high school.  The director thought it was broken and said it was donated for a past show, but if it worked I could keep it.  It worked perfectly.  The second was a pair of Dahlquist M909 speakers at a garage sale on my block for $150, essentially in perfect condition.  Before I found them, I was stressing about what I was going to get once I finished my basement renovation.  When I picked them up, I figured at least these could take care of us until I figured it out.  They sound so good, I no longer feel any need to upgrade.  It really feels like an endgame speaker for me. 

In my case it would be a tie between a Yamaha CT 1010 I bought second hand for about $30 in the mid eighties, and a Sumo Athena, which I picked up around 1992 for $100. Neither are the best of course, but I still use them every day, and have built the rest of the many system iterations over the years around the phonostage built into the Sumo.

She's put up with all other replacements over the years, until seeming to say "all right, that's enough. It's my turn again".

Was purchasing a beautiful Luxman L-100 in 2002 from a music teacher a few towns over. While there I was admiring some of his other pieces & we made a deal on his Sansui, AU-9500. Both great components. We're shaking hands on the way out when he points to a box on the floor. Tells me "why don't you take those too, now you'll have a complete setup". Box contained a pristine set of 11ohm Rogers, LS3/5A. I offered to purchase those as well and he replied, "I have bigger speakers now, you take those" pointing to a room filled with Gershman & ARC and a Baldwin, Grand Piano. There is no better deal than free, lol. What a wonderful old gentleman with great taste in Audio.

The biggest bang for my buck was buying a Linear Tube Audio Micro ZOTL or MZ2. This high-quality headphone amp, preamp, and class A 1-watt power amp makes this the Swiss Army knife of Audio.