Wadia 631 grainy and "dirty" sounding vs ML 390s

I have heard the ML 390S. Excellent player. However, I have been told in comparison that the ML 390S is cleaner sounding compared to the Wadia 631 which sounds "dirty" in comparison. Does anyone else have a similar response?

Are there any other players in the 7K-8K range that exceeds these two in performance, build etc?
dbk

Showing 1 response by elinor

I cannot remember if I have heard these models, but I have heard many ML's and Wadias on very revealing systems since I live near a shop that sells both. I think both are excellent brands in general and offer some of the best CD playback available. I think both are vastly better than most digital in the marketplace regardless of upsampling, oversampling, SACD, DVD etc. I will say this, I had an extended listening session at this shop a couple of years ago and heard the Wadia 861 and thought it was superb. Very natural sounding and musical. It really held my attention and was listenable for a long period of time. If you want to hear another great player, I think the Capitole Aero is right up there with these. Someone told me that they recently heard a new MSB Player on the market which they thought was unusually good.