VTL-IT85 or Classe CAP-151 for magnepan MMG

I am currently using a Classe intergrated with my MMGs. Although the Classe has plenty of power I do find it a little flat, ( maybe lack of tone controls? )remember hearing VTL450's with the 3.6's and was blown away. Considered swapping for the IT-85 for a little more warmth and better soundstage. I've tried placement all over the room and Im using analysis plus oval 12's. Room size is 20 x 24 and a little bright. Any comments or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, John
velo62

Showing 1 response by kurtisk

comparing the mmg's to the 3.6 is unfair. I am not sure what you mean by "flat", my guess is not very full-bodied. With the mmg's (which I have too, with some mg-iii's and smga's) you don't get very good full sound like you get with the larger maggies. However, the high's may be a bit bright and skewing the sound. Try the included attenuators to see if toning down the highs helps at all--if they work consider getting some good Mills resistors to replace them. Also consider pulling off the back panel and rewiring the connectors to omit the fuse and attenuator connectors. The difference is STAGGERING, particularly for openness and imaging, but this can also brighten the highs--there's the resistors again. NOTE: wiring out the fuse also wires out the protection of the tweeter panel--and voids the warrenty. I have never blown a fuse on my SMGa's in 8 years or my mmg's in 1 year, so you would only need it in extreme conditions like turning up the volume all the way and then selecting a valid source--stupid stuff. The mmg's are a remarkable speaker for the money, but take out the fuse and it is a whole new world!