VTL IT-85 or Mcintosh MA6500

Hello, anyone out there ever owned these two integrated amps........ I have the VTL at the moment and it sounds nice. I've had Mcintosh gear in the past and liked it too. Haven't demoed the MA6500 yet, will A/B them soon. Just want some opinions on the two pieces of gear, wondering if one really outshines the other. At the moment I have Thiel 1.5s for my speakers. Thanks for looking.
128x128lesvan

Showing 1 response by davt

I have listened to both the McIntosh MA6500 and the VTL with both Dynaudio 52se and Verity Audio Tamino X2. I was kind of surprised that the Mac sounded a bit two demensional, thin, and lacked the dynamics of the little VTL integrated as the Mac has much more power. I really liked the sound of the VTL, the base was deep and tight which I did not expect and it sounded more musical. I spent a lot of time listening to the VTL, the mac just didn't seem as enjoyble. I also listened to the Mac Tube integrated, I think that it is the 2275, and that sounded absolutley wonderful, but at a different price point. I do think though if your speakers needed the power the 6500 might be a better piece as it did sound nice, just not to the VTL.