VPI HW 19 3.5 w/REGA 300 vs. VPI Scout w/JMW 9 arm

I am considering one of the above tbales as an upgrade from a Music Hall 2.2.
The amp and pre-amp will be Conrad Johnson (still looking for phono - something like a Minimax).
Any insight would be greatly apprecited.
sancho22

Showing 2 responses by stanwal

I have actually had a 19 -3 with a Rega and have a Scout now. However, as it was 15 years apart I can't give direct comparisons. The tables give , according to my memory, different types of sound. The 19 is a little dark but very relaxed, the Scout is much more upfront with increased detail. The 19 , being suspended, is more immune to vibrations; the Scout, when well isolated from vibrations, is capable of better information retrieval. I like the JMW arm better, but unipiviots are not everyone's cup of tea. The short answer is that both are very good tables, I could live with either. I was, and am , a VPI dealer and used the 19 and TNT in years past, now have a Scout , Scoutmaster and Aries with 12.7 arm. The last two are better than the Scout but do not make it sound bad, just add to its virtues. I don't think you could go wrong with either, both are good as is and can be improved as time and money permits.
I would go with the Scout as it is a current model. None that I know of. The unipivot is a little different to align than a standard arm but not really harder. Stan