Voltage conversion from 220V to 110V.

With all the deals you see on Euro and Asian market stuff that operates on 220V its hard not to wonder is there a problem using a North American converter.

Ive got my eye on a set of Asian market mono bolck tube amps. Theyre the 220V version but theyre also about $1500 cheaper than their North American counterparts.

Can I expect any sonic problem stepping the voltage up for their requirements with a high quality converter?

What kind of converter would work best?

Thanks.
nm512

Showing 2 responses by hepl

As stated above 220V is cleaner(less noise) than 110V.
The 220V lines are balanced and each of the two hot lines cancel the other one noise. My system was changed(Linn) was
changed from to 110V to 220V, by means of a switch at the back of each unit, I highly recommend the voltage change.
The sound improvement was noticeable. Hector.
Jea48,

I use two hot legs and one neutral conductor. Since the line is a dedicated one I haven't had any hum problems. About the polarity, I guest that when I change the voltage selector switch the unit does make all of the necesary adjustments.

Some of the components use a Switch Mode Power Supply (Kairn-Pro & Ikemi), the others use a regular thoroidal
transformer (Klouts, Kudos & Av-5150). The transformers have dual inputs leads, my feling is that they are each propely wired(polarity) for each woltage. In my case it was easy, just had an electrician install the 220V line,
change the voltage setting on the units and replace the fuses, from 6.3A to 3.15A. Hector