Video: noise floor and tweeter hiss, what do you think?

Recorded this video about noise floor and tweeter hiss: https://youtu.be/cuwStFuqs0o

Comparing Gryphon Essence to Dan D’Agostino Momentum.

Curious to see your suggestions and ideas.

robert1976

XLR or RCA but in a lot of applications the RCA has less gain so unless you have a long run an RCA cable will help a little compared to XLRs. A 10db attenuator usually is enough but each system is different. As long as you can’t hear it from your listening chair you are good. I’ve only used RCA attenuators but your link looks fine. To be more specific, it’s the gain, the noise floor, plus loudspeaker efficiency that are the things that add up to the noise level at the speaker.

A Discussion About Idle Hiss – Upscale Audio

Thanks for the link to the article @russ69 

My speakers are 94dB sensitivity. Combined with 49dB gain may very well be responsible for the hiss.

I do us a Puritan mains filter and good cabling, so I do not suspect the problem lies there.

Hello Robert! I have a Nagra Classic pre, a Essence amp, high sensitivity speakers and I have hiss too :).

Of course I have more hiss if I turn on the 12db gais switch of the Nagra XD.

Did you fix your hiss?

thanks!!!

Hiss is normal and fine ! it's the signal to noise ratio!  that number is a better indicator if one is worried and  if nothing is reaching the chair your golden.

@ramon74 turns out there’s nothing to fix. I can’t hear it at the listening position so it’s not an issue. It’s normal, even in ultra high-end equipment.