Using Adcom GFA-555s as monoblocks to power magnepan 3.3s in active biamp

Yeah, a long title but it says it all.  Presently I have my rebuilt Magnepan 3.3rs actively biamped through a Marchand active crossover, then using 2 stereo amps to power bass and mid/treble respectively.

I am considering taking two Adcom GFA-555s and bridging them and using one each to power the bass panels of the maggies. 

Since the Magnepans are 4 ohm rated, however it's only the bass panels I'd be powering, what are your thoughts on stability?

Appreciate the help.  Don't need suggestions on "selling all my amps and buying one bigger one" - I have a lot of different amp options but am a tinkerer and want to see if the power of a bridged adcom would be good to control the bass panels. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xjji666

Showing 1 response by jimf421

I am using two Bryston 3B amps to biamp similar to as you propose but horizontal biamp. I use a Bryston 10B crossover. Per the directions in the Magnepan manual (I have IIIa Maggies), i do not use the crossover boxes and changed the jumpers on the back of the speakers. I can provide you with my crossover setting if you like. I use one amp for the bass and one for the midrange/high.