Used vs New vs Vintage vs Floorstanding vs Bookshelf vs ..... OMG!

OK. I am new in this (new in HIFI, in Audiogon, in discussion forums). I need to buy a pair of speakers for a newly-to-be-built HIFI system, and I am getting a little overwhelmed about all the options and possibilities (and opinions). By the way, I am NOT rich so that helps me a lot to discard a bunch of options.

I started checking vintage HIFI speakers for around $500, basically old JBLs, Technics, and the like (eBay, Craiglist, Letgo). Of course as soon as I began I started checking newer and pricier loudspeakers... and I am trying not to be a consumerist… Either way first  I decided for a pair of JBLs vintage. Until I watched John Darko's youtube review on the ELAC Navis ARB-51. So I changed my mind, I raised my budget and changed from vintage to new, from big to small.

Then I learned about the huge immense used HIFI market. For the same price of the Navis I could buy speakers from enormous brands like Sonus Faber and Focal and B&W in the used market. There I could find Sonus Faber Veneres for 1500, B&W 802 for 2000, and so on. When I contacted somebody from another webpage (The music room) about which was the best option.... the response was... Vandersteen 2Ce signature, "by far". I looked for opinions about it and all I read about them was "OK but meeh". 

So I was really confused. Until I learnt about the Tekton Double Impact, and now I started to get some dizziness. "The best loudspeakers for that price range", "the best period", etc. I contacted Eric Alexander, who kindly took his time to explain me why paper speakers are still the best, and so on. So they are great, really great, for "just" $3000... and I raised my budget again.

Either way, I have read so much, heard so much, watched so much, and I haven't learned much really. Different experts have different opinions, whether the speakers should be flat or not, colored or true, whether it is a matter of "taste" or "you should listen and like them". Well I am no expert, I am 45 years old and I probably won't listen wavelengths of 50 Htzs or lower.

I just want a pair of good speakers so I can enjoy King Crimson, Ramones or Beethoven.

Can anybody help? PLEASE???....

tykozen
I agree with soix-- get out as much as you possibly can and demo as many speakers as possible.  Every listener will have different tastes!  And every speaker will sound different.  My only frustration with this hobby is that even though I live only about an hour outside of Manhattan, in one of the wealthiest parts of the country-- yet have no places to demo speakers, no dealers carrying a lot of different brands that are reasonably close by.  I have to go into Manhattan, and even there it isn't easy.  Anyway-- if you want to go really cheap, yet find speakers that can rock it and also give great detail, try the Klipsch Reference Premier.  Either the RP-8000F ($1000/pair) or the RP-6000F ($800/pair).  I have not listened to them, but the reviews are remarkable for a speaker that is that inexpensive.  You might want to try the manufacturers that allow 30 or 60 day demos, but you have to deal with returns, a hassle-- and sometimes speakers take that long to break in.  I will say it isn't easy!  BTW I have Raidho XT-2's and love them, on good recordings it sounds as if the musicians are right in my room.  But they are out of your price range at 18K/pair.  Maybe Golden Ear?  Best of luck!
Hi everyone;
Thank you very much for all your responses. Most of them have been really helpful, although they confirm what I suspected, there is a lot (to say the least) of subjectivity in all this. Which kind of makes sense since we are talking about music. 
I liked very much the suggestion about the synergy between components. That makes sense. Nevertheless, my intention is to make investments spread in time, so I decided to start strong with the speakers. I bought an old Kenwood 6100 (yes I know...). I will update as soon as I get the divorce from my wife due to my several hobbies and "investments"...
So then I will read (bought the book) and listen as much as I can, that is for sure. I appreciate the invitation to AZ, I am in NC. I will look for those clubs and speaker showrooms around.
Oh and I doubt Ramones and Beethoven will be playing in the Madison Square garden but either way thanks for the tip LOL. I saw King Crimson last year and it was probably the best gig I have been in in my life.
Oh I have another question: is there really any difference between a Sony CD/Blu ray reader and an incredibly-expensive used CD reader from Audiophile brands? 
First I would like some input from experts or experienced people to discard, or differentiate the Good from the Bad, or the Better from the Not so good. For instance, do you think it is better to invest on an older used and perhaps outdated pair of big floorstanding with 8" woofers, or would you rather go with a new pair of technologically advanced 15 in small speakers with 5" drivers? When I asked between the Vandersteen and a good pair of B&W 802 S3, I was responded that the later were outdated, whatever that means.
I understand what you're trying to do, but you're overthinking it.  First, there are really no "bad" speakers out there that you should avoid.  Each speaker has its own characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses, so now it's really up to you to just go out there and start listening so you can figure out what sounds best to you.  That's  the most productive thing you can do right now rather than spending time here reading other people's' opinions.  In the end, your opinion is the only one that matters, so just go out there and start forming your own opinions rather than wasting your time here.  That said, once you've heard some things and want to verify or get some other perspectives on what you thought you heard, that's cool and can be helpful to you going forward, but at least you've taken a step forward in identifying what you may like or not.  Just get out there!  That's the best education there is, by far. 

Tykozen:

If you like watching movies or concert DVD's thru your audio system, then finding a multi - format player is a good idea. But, in doing so you'll probably need to add a stand alone DAC in order to get a higher level of sound quality. Compared to the cost of a high end CD/SACD player, you're probably talking about a similar budget.

You can use the same scenario when it comes to your selection of speakers:
                 Do you go with a larger, full range speaker or something smaller and then add a subwoofer to it? Again, you're looking at a similar budget. The bottom line is figuring out what works best for your wants and needs. Good luck in your search! 
Give the Magnepan LRS a listen. They are 86 db sensitivity at 4 ohm impedance, which means they require quite a bit of power or else they will overheat an amp. But at only $650 per pair, you can also purchase a decent amp to drive them, such as an Emotiva amp. I am a very big fan of getting the most bang for my bucks, not so much interested in spending a lot to impress anyone else. If you do the reviews on Magnepan and Emotiva, I think you'll find there's a lot of agreement that if you purchase them, you will be getting an excellent bang for your bucks.