Used tube pre-amp around $1,000

I'm thinking of upgrading my pre amp. I currently have a CJ PV10al & my first instinct would be to go higher up the CJ line. I have a set of Tyler Reference Monitors with matching sub & need another line out of my pre amp. The rest of my system is a DNA-1, Phillips 963SA, Tascam DAT deck with DH Labs, MIT & Analysis Plus cables. I think the system sounds fantastic but want a "little" more detail & larger soundstage.

The problem with staying in the CJ line is the cost. I don't know if the 12 is worth the jump & the 14 is a little more than I care to spend at this time. Are there any choices out there that will provide a marked improvement & keep me around my $1,000 budget? A remote would be a plus but not that important to me. It must have two outs & be tubed.

Audible Illusions seems to top the list in this price range but I hear they are rather tough on tubes. I am also considering adding a turntable to my rig in the future. So what are some great used pre-amps in my budget?
fishwater

Showing 1 response by pops

Hi Fishwater, I have a pv 10 and bought a used premier 14 about 2 years ago. A really big jump - music is so much more natural, every area improves - bottom end, top end, detail, imaging. It is also more neutral/natural - not as euphoric as the PV10. I got a reminder this week - I'm having a problem with the 14 and sent it in for repairs and put the PV 10 back in. It's a very nice preamp but it is not in the league of the 14. One caveat - there aren't alot of 6GK5 tubes available if you like to tube roll - CJ is now using all GE's. They were using GE's and Sylvania's which I think were the best combo, but I guess they can't get the sylvania's anymore. There are also Mullards and Hitachi's available from other retailers that are interesting but in my system the GE/SLY were the best overall performers. If you like CJ - move up into the premier line when you can is my opinion and you'll never look back.