Upgrading from Martin Logan ESL15a w/Force subs to Wilson Sasha Daw or Alexia 2 w/JL subs

I would like some guidance on switching from ML to the Wilsons mentioned above.  While I do really enjoy the ML I'm looking for something smaller as well a better connection between the highs and lows which both of the Wilsons do better.  There are numerous other things I like about the Wilsons as well.

Currently, I have the McIntosh MC-1.25kwh mono blocks with my ML center powered by a MC-601.  My speaker wire is transparent.  My Processor is a McIntosh MX160 and I am using Roon with a NAS and Lumin Streamer.  I will also be adding a McIntosh pre-amp to improve performance on the 2 channel.  Haven't decided between C2700 or C53 yet.  Adding a Clear Audio Concept turntable but haven't settled in on cartridge.  There is no rush to do anything, so I'm open to opinions.

A couple comments on the Wilson's.....the midrange and tweeter are the same on both but the Alexia 2 has much more adjustability.  While demoing without the subs the Sasha Daw bass hit me but the Alexia 2 went through me.  Sasha has 2 - 8" bass drivers and the Alexia 2 has an 8" and a 10".

I listen to all types of music including Jazz from the 50's - 60's, Acoustic, classical symphonies, rock and progressive/alternative rock.

Thanks in advance for your honest feedback.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xwoots

Showing 3 responses by james633

Almost all systems needs subs unless the mains have active subs.
I would add a watch controller from wilson ($4500). It will take the system to a different level. You could pass higher then too if you are currently coming in under the mains (not as good as passing at 50-60z) imo. The downside is the additional wiring...

JL CR-1 would be a cheaper option. 

https://www.wilsonaudio.com/pdf/manuals/manual-watch-controller.pdf

Woots,

I assume you pass the home theater through the C2700. Is this correct or are you doing something custom? If custom it might not work for you. 
The CR-1 is designed for two channel music. Out of the CR1 you will have a right and left lead to the sub/subs. 
If you have two subs you will have a right input open on the left sub and a left inout open on the right sub after connecting the CR-1. You could then run the LFE line out of the MX160 to the open inputs on the JL subs. This will work fine as the two inputs are summed. You will then be running the subs both crossed over to the mains and the LFE of the processor at the same time. 

Woots,

JL audio’s sub inputs are summed. So if you have two of them (which leaves an open input on each sub) you can use them to crossover to the mains AND run the LEF of your processor for movies. 
You just setup with the crossover like normal for two channel (between the pre and amp) then run the lef out of the reciever/processor to the open input. This method has worked fine for me for years.

you can then adjust the bass gain on the processors like normal for movies (say plus 5db) and not effect your two channel bass setup. This gives the mains all the power of the subs and also plays the subs louder for explosions etc.