Unscrupulous ebay buyers

Beware if you sell on ebay. I’m probably stating something most already know, but anyhow, I listed a brand new cartridge there which was bought and shipped on time. Buyer receives It, opens it and installs it. He proceeds to play his records. He then messages me that the cartridge has muddy bass and poor channel separation. I advise him to check all alignment parameters, but he insists cartridge is defective, I highly doubt it. I do not accept returns as stated in the listing. He proceeds to pack it up, taking a photo, and states "on the way!"...I again told him that I do not accept returns for a cartridge that is now used...also said that just because you bought something you have never listened to and you are displeased with its sound or performance, does not give him the right to demand I accept a return. I reported him to ebay, as in my opinion he is pulling a fast one. He could very likely have damaged it while installing it. It was brand new pristine condition upon shipping it. I am standing my ground and will not accept a return. If it shows up at my door, too bad. At this point, I can care less if I receive negative feedback, it would be my first. Worse buyer I’ve encountered in 20 years of selling. Man I hate ebay. Honestly, to me it sounds like buyer remorse, not a defective cartridge, plus I am not the manufacturer....he can pound sand.

128x128audioguy85

Well, this has come to a close. The buyer opened a case today, and Ebay took very little time to review it. They decided to close the case and issue the buyer a full refund. However, I was not impacted whatsoever, as no money was removed from my account and I got the cartridge back. So, in essence I keep the money and can relist the cartridge, albeit as slightly used. 

There are a**h**** on both sides. Glad to see the pendulum swing(paypal/ebay) towards the buyers side. Multiple times I have caught the seller making false claims about age and condition. That is why I will only deal with respected dealers I don't want to waste time with side hustlers.

"So, in essence I keep the money"

- Sorry, that is not going to happen, eBay will debit your bank account that is linked to your eBay account. Otherwise, where does the refund money come from?

I have to say, this has been one of the most informative threads I’ve read on this site. 
I’m sorry it was borne of such an unfortunate incident.  
I think the OP caused some valuable things to be shared, however.

@dill here is the message from Ebay. Take it as you may, maybe I’m reading into it or assuming, But from the way it reads, I’m not affected. I believe the money comes from their ebay satisfaction guarantee, who knows...

"This case is now closed

Hi xxxxxxx,

We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a refund of US $159.99 without any impact to you.

This case is now closed. You are not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case will not be counted in your seller performance evaluation.

You can view the details of the case in the Resolution Center."