TV audio

Our living room setup is comprised of a 75" Sony with eARC to KEF Wireless 2s augmented with a pair of KC62 subs. But the internal audio of the Sony TV is so good it rivals the external audio. I may reserve the external audio for Roon and Blue rays. I don’t recall TV audio being as good as it is with our new Sonys. The sound is detailed, the imaging precise, the LF robust.

Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd

I have to say I've never heard the new Sony TVs and with a size of 75" (and up), maybe they've come up with the space needed for some good sounding built in speakers. If it's as good as you say, it's a good thing to free up the space and clutter around it. 👍

All the best,
Nonoise

Here's what Sony's top of the line 75" tv has for audio, pretty impressive:

Sound:
  • built-in 2.2-channel sound system (85 watts total)
  • Acoustic Multi-Audio technology uses four frame tweeters to position sound where it appears onscreen, increasing immersion
  • Acoustic Center Sync synchronizes TV speakers with compatible Sony sound bars for fuller, more immersive sound
  • front-firing subwoofers add surprisingly powerful bass
  • sound is projected to the side and vertically to provide 3D surround sound without additional equipment
    • audio signal is "upscaled" to surround sound, so everything you watch gains the benefit of 3D audio

I have a 75” Sony x93L and the sound is pretty good. Not very “spatial” like full full system but definitely good for 90% of the TV I watch. I do find it lacking when it comes to watching football however. The announcers are a little “lost” in the crowd noise IMO. To be truthful, it’s that way a bit over my sound system too but not as bad as just the TV. Overall, broadcast TV (live TV) sound has a lot of room for improvement but that’s another thread…

I have 2023 75" and 85" Sony XR Bravo TVs, both in rooms with audio setups I don't use, because the audio of the TV is so good.  I reserve the audio setups for Roon and Blue Rays.

My understanding is that much tv or movie video content these days is multichannel and using a 2 channel stereo for sound is not the best approach to be able to properly discern voices and such because the sound is mixed for that format.

So I ended up with a Samsung and I went with a multichannel soundbar designed for the task as an experiment rather than defer to a 2 channel stereo by default. I think was a good choice. It even does a decent job with music but not on par with the 2 channel stereo it shares space with.

This was a midrange Samsung. My understanding is that some new Sonys actually use a technology where the screen surface is used as a speaker essentially and reviews seem to indicate that approach actually works quite well to deliver high quality fuller range sound.