Tube Preamp - What to buy?

Looking to take my first venture into the tube world and going with a tube preamp.  My budget is up to $2500 and willing to buy used or new however realize with my budget that used is probably a better path. I would like to have a built-in MM phone stage.  I am use to having a remote and tone controls, so that would be nice however not a necessity.  

For further information my speakers are Revel Performa3 F206 and the current amp(s) is Conrad Johnson SA-250 and I also have a Rotel RB1552.  I many be looking for an amp upgrade in the future, but one thing at a time. 

So far I have been looking at used Audio Research and Conrad Johnson preamps but very open to opinions on brand and model.  Thanks and I look forward to your opinions and experiences.  
speter04
Herron Audio VTSP-3A-R03. It does not have a phono. Check for it at US Audio Mart.
Audible Illusions M3B would be nice too. It has MM phono, but does not have a remote.

I strongly second Aric Audio! I have had, Mac, Pass Labs, Don Sachs, and ARC, to name but a few. I have the original Motherlode, but his mid level gear is what drew me into his line initially. Give him a call...he is great to work with and a credit to the audiophile community.
VTL Ultimate,
separate volume controls, well with-in your budget, beautiful little tube pre-amp with an outstanding phono stage.
You will not be disappointed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vtl+ultimate+preamplifier&client=firefox-b-d&tbm=isch&so...