Tube preamp recommendations $3K-$7K range

I am considering replacing my solid state preamp with a tube pre. I plan keep my solid state amp. Also, my DAC/PSU are tubed. Am looking in the $3K-$7K range. Based on reviews and audio forums, I have narrowed my search to the three units below:

PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium
Backert labs Rhythm or Rhumba Extreme
Modwright LS 36.5

A bit of background: I purchased my Haflers in the mid '80's (!) to replace my venerable Marantz college dorm unit (along with Polk SDA2's to replace no-name bookshelf units an audiophile uncle bequeathed to me. I vividly recall his aquamarine glowing McIntosh amp, Thorens turntable and Thiel floor standers that were as tall as I was at the time...)

The dealer had modded the Haflers by Musical Concepts, which was my first exposure to John Hillig's work.

Last year I invested in Musical Concepts' most recent Hafler upgrades for my amp, preamp and cdp. Not much is written online about John's mods, but to my ear the improvement was astounding in every way my ear could measure. Since that time, I've continued on the upgrade path to my current system with which I am very happy.

Yet, I am curious about what tubes will do to my system. My current system (with which I am very satisfied) is:

Hafler DH 220 Amp/Musical Concepts PA6 Elite Ultra Mod
Hafler DH 110 Preamp/ Musical Concepts LXII Elite Mod
Musical Concepts modded Rotel 1072 CDP//Musical Concepts Elite Mod
Modwright tube modded Oppo Sonica DAC with Modwright external tube PSU

Harbeth m30.1 monitors
Dual HSU VTF1 MK3 subs
DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033-S

Fidelizer Nimitra Computer Audio Server as Roon core
Fidelizer Nikola LPS

Goertz BP 1000 VA Balanced Power Conditioner
Furutech e-TP60 Power Distribution Unit

After market ICs/PCs:
Wywires Silver Juice II PCs and Modwright Umbilical
Shyunyata Venom 14 PC
Synergistic Research Element Tungsten and Accelerator ICs and PCs with Michael Spallone V2 modded MPCs

WDMycloud NAS

Listening room for near field listening is 12x10x8; opens to larger living area where I do much listening as well.

I welcome any input or recommendations you may have.
Regards,
Daniel

128x128cantorgale
@cantorgale   This is a tough one.  I doubt that Musical Concepts can bring your Hafler up to the performance of any of the Backert Labs offerings but if you send the Hafler back to MC I would have them go all the way with the mod. including the outboard power supply   That way you'll know you have left no stone unturned.

You may be right about the future market for a modded component as I've read that on A'Gon before from others.  Personally I don't get it.  If I were in the market for used gear I wouldn't have any bias against modified gear.  As the buyer you would know that you are getting an optimized design and will pay a fraction of what the owner who modified the piece invested in it.

It might be helpful to call and talk to John Hillig to hear what he says about how close in overall sonic quality he can bring your Hafler to some of the better new offerings on the market today.

All the best!
I own a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium and absolutely love it. Kevin Deal is a very knowledgeable person and he can help you tweak that amp with NOS tubes to get it sounding how you want it to sound. Having said that, if I had a $7K budget, I'd consider the Balanced Audio Technology VK-33 Preamp too:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamplifiers/products/balanced-audio-technology-vk-33-prea...
Maybe go back to some of the blue meters you remember with a McIntosh c2300 or even c2600?
The Don Sachs SP-14 is the Vacuum Tube Audio SP-14 (tubes4hifi.com) with the most expensive parts  available as upgrades. I have the regular version, and love it.  Space and resolution.  If you want the most, look hard at the Dos Sachs.  Enjoy the journey!!!