Trouble connecting Onkyo TX-NR809 via pre-outs to Nakamichi PA-5

I have been struggling with trying to run front speakers via Nakamichi PA-5 amp using Onkyo TX-NR809 pre-outs.  When all connected I hear nothing but hum.  The amp works with tuner fine via CA-5 preamp.  Works with an older CD player as well.  No sound from Onkyo.  I wanted to run a theater with amplified front speakers.  My understanding that in addition to having improved sound coming out of the fronts the AVR will redistribute its power to the remaining 3 speakers and they too will sound better.  Last thing I discovered was that my newer Oppo player also produces a lot of hum.  Although with OPPO I hear music.  Onkyo just hum.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what may the issue be?
bean2011
I'm confused.  Amplified speakers to me says the speakers have internal amplifiers. If so, you should not be sending the signal from pre-amp out to amp in to amplified speaker. It should be pre-out to speaker amp in. Can you clarify the chain of components and how they are connected that sounds OK and what the chain is when you have the hum?