Tonearm for Teres turntable - approx $1000 - ??

I have way to much time to research for components for my new analog setup, and keep on thinking about new ways of spending my budget (which keeps increasing in size. :-( )

I have at least decided on the turntable - basically a Teres 160 - and the cartridge - Zyx R-100H.

I had decided on an Origin Live Silver tonearm,(with Twl's HiFi mod, of course,) too, but now I'm wavering about that decision. I can not afford to spend thousands of dollars on the tonearm, but can probably stretch my budget to about $1000. Used is fine... Are the Hadcock tonearms (which seem to be about the same price as the OL Silver) any good? Better than or equal to the OL Silver? Is there something better I should look for, or should I just stick with the OL Silver?
oakiris

Showing 11 responses by oakiris

I don't believe I'll have 100 years to burn in my tone arm cables/wiring! Thanks Raul - guess I'll give your method a try!

Holly
I hate math!! :-) Anyway, the Zyx R100H compliance is listed as 15 x 1.6 cm/dyne (horizontal)/12 x 10.6 cm/dyne (vertical) How do I plug that into the formula (rf = 159 / sqrt ((eff. mass + cart weight + fastener weight) * (compliance)) ???

I may email you for assistance, Twl!

Also, anyone know where the Morch DP6 tonearms can be purchased? Music Direct sells them for the $1500 price I spoke about above, though you have to call them as they don't sell it on line. Just wondering if it could be found a little bit cheaper elsewhere! (Wish Chris of Teres sold them, but he only sells the Tier 1 tonearms he recommends on his site; the Morch is listed as a Tier 2. :-( )
Well, I'm still trying to make a decision - the Morch DP6 seems as if it would be a good match with the Zyx cartridge and Teres turntable (thanks for calculating the complaiance range for me, Twl!)

Your description of a unipivot tonearm makes me a bit nervous, too, C123666, but....Just found another unipivot that intrigues me, the Bluenote Borromeo tonearm. I can't find anything about its weight or compliance, though it is listed as having a "medium-high" mass. Anyone have experience with this tonearm?
C123666 - Do you think the Belcanto is a better arm than the Bluenote Borromeo? It's certainly alot cheaper! :-)
Raul - Another vote for the Morch DP-6! I'm still trying to find somewhere to purchase this tonearm on line, but... I guess I need to call Music Direct and see what the deal is (as in, why they can't sell it on line, etc.)

Also, does anyone know if you have to pay extra for the wand you get with the Morch, or is one wand of your choice included in the purchase price? This is probably another question for Music Direct.
Thanks for the link, Raul. I have looked at Audio Advancements before. They appear to be another site that doesn't sell on line - and they don't even list prices! Oh well, I have emailed them to get more information, and I will probably call Music Direct, too. Wish someone was selling a used one here on Audiogon, but.... :-)
Rauliruegas - I am surprised that you feel the Morch DP6 is a better arm than the Graham 2.2, but am glad to have your input. I realize that a higher price is not necessarily the equivalent of better quality, but I haven't read any other negative reviews about the Graham tonearms and how they are poorly designed

I emailed Audio Advancements yesterday asking for more info. on the Morch; I've received no response as yet.
Doug - Is there another arm in the <$2000 dollar range that you would recommend over the Morch DP6? I guess I do want "clarity & finesse" as opposed to something that will become fatiguing! I do like the sound of tube equipment, too, though. Does this mean I am bi-polar, or just confused?!?
Thanks, Raul. I'm glad I won't need to spend extra $$ for a phono cable - and I'm also glad to know what sort of cable connector the DP6 has.

Holly
Hi Raul - I do indeed believe in the "burn in" factor for cables and other audio equipment - too many people way more knowledgeable than me swear by it - but is there any problem with just letting things burn in through normal use?

Holly
Is this one of the burn-in products that would work? FryKleaner If so, someone needs to make one of these and then send it around to the rest of us to use!

Holly