Thinking about a new, lower end CD Player

My current CD player is a basic, older Sony, probably 10-12 years old. Works fine but I could use it in another location with a lower end system. It seems to sound about as good as my Arcam CD92 that lost its DAC a while back.

So now thinking about buying a new CDP and have a couple of questions.

I’d like to keep this in the $300-500 range for units with internal DAC. Not looking for SACD player. Other than a remote, not looking for special features or multi disk players.

I’m guessing that in this price range SQ is probably comparable to other units in that range.

First, is a CDP in this price range going to sound any better than the old Sony?
Second, if not, is there any reason not to just buy a comparable $200 unit?
Third, for units in this price range ($300-500) is there any reason to look for one with balanced output capability and if so, is there any way to know if it is truly balanced.

Thanks all,

George

n80
I'm using a Sony DVP-NS425P as a CD player. Cost $99 new, several years back. Has a 24-bit, 192mHz DAC that sounds great. If a better external DAC comes along, it has coax and optical digital outs.
"Pick up a cheap CDP if the opportunity arises."
If you are in the U.S.A., stop by Goodwill or something similar. They are $10-15 when they have them. I used to see SONY ES players for about that much but had zero use for it so I had to pass. Of course, no guarantee it will be there if you go.
CD92 with the 'ring' DAC (the part which isn't working). The odd thing is that it will play through the DAC/RCA outputs for maybe a minute when you first turn it on then it gets all garbled up and quits playing altogether.

We do have some Goodwill and consignment type shops around and I will keep an eye out for something.
OP, if you can find a TASCAM CD-200b used for $89 or $99, get it. I'm using its bigger brother, the 500b and it sounds great. MSRP is $499 and I got it on eBay in "like new" condition, which fortunately ended up being accurate, for $189. 

I am stepping up to a very good transport since I'm feeding a nice DAC with the TASCAM, but I'm keeping the TASCAM as a backup or possibly for use upstairs down the road. TASCAM is owned by TEAC, who also owns Esoteric. Not saying they're comparable, but there's a good lineage there. The 200b is a tray load, my 500b is a slot load. It does sound better as a transport but even its internal DAC sounds fine. It decodes pre-emphasis too, if that's any concern.

And as someone who fits the stereotype of a near-millenial who should only listen through his phone, Tidal, or a streamer? Physical media all day, especially in a setting designed around listening.