The Psychology of Constant (Equipment) Change

Anybody have an answer?

I have a decent selection of preamps, amps, integrateds and speakers to choose from and I find myself swapping out gear constantly.  And it's not because anything sounds bad.  Quite contrary, really.

After most swapping sessions, I'm generally really satisfied and quite enjoy the sound quality.  But within a few weeks I'm swapping stuff out again.

What would be the diagnosis for my condition?

128x128audiodwebe

this is PC that I was told costs over $1K new!!!

Can't say I am shocked.  The shield is interesting though.  I have never seen so little material on a shield.  Looks like about a 20% shield, with two of the small wires connected to the iec - that should work well at screening EMI/RFI.  Some years ago, I took apart a power cord from a fairly well-regarded company.  Three THHN wires twisted in a PVC tube with some goop, and a bog-standard plug/iec at each end.  About $30 in parts for a $500+ cord.  Reminds me of an equipment designer who once told me, "I should of gone into cables".

If you're similar to me, you enjoy hearing differences. When I get a new piece of gear, I'm excited to hear it. If there's little to no improvement, back it goes. But if there's an improvement, i'm convinced I've made the last purchase ever. I hear the improvement. it thrills me. after several weeks, i no longer hear an improvement; it's just the improved version, which is great but maybe not as thrilling. Here are some silly remedies: keep some crappy equipment around to hook up and hear the differences. If your DAC has a ton of parameters, A/B test them. You'll love the journey fine tuning the sound so it's just right. upgraditis is difficult!

Some people get acclimated to the sound of a particular system and it no longer sets off the endorphins after a while.  The sound is still the same, your brain's reaction to it has changed.  Putting in a new component in your system can get your attention again.  Nothing wrong with that.

Remember BB King's great song, "The Thrill Is Gone"?

Always a new experience, and it's fun to make a major purchase. It's a luxury, and those who can afford it like luxury.