the dreaded breaking of tonearm wire...now what?

I just got a new (used) benz micro h2 in the mail and began my first install. Needless to say, didn't go very well. Actually, except for one tonearm wire breaking, it wasn't as bad as I thought.

So, is there anything I can do to salvage it? Or, should I just send it somewhere, or just a new tonearm cable? It's just the stock in the MMF-5, but don't have a budget right now for anything much better.

What would you do?

Good news: even though I only have sound through one channel, it already is an incredible difference. I think I need some extra counterbalance weight, as the force is tough to adjust. But already much better, except for the fact there is no soundstage with one speaker..

Thanks
pablo16

Showing 2 responses by cd318

@tablejockey

A mere 13 years?

It takes a lifetime’s worth of experience.

Hopefully some newcomers can at least avoid some of the many pitfalls that await any foray into serious vinyl.

An £8000 cartridge?

Can you imagine the installation pressure involved?

Or explaining things to your insurance afterwards...

"Well sir, can you just explain why you think your printer is valued so highly. By the way, our loss adjustor informs us that they have never heard of any Dynavector printer."
The puzzling thing is why would Rega, who make such a song and dance about their one piece (structurally superior?!) arms deliberately use inferior wiring?

I remember having a few mishaps with the cartridge wiring on my Linn Ittok. It is indeed a tricky business, so any experienced advice is always welcome.

Personally, although I know some might disapprove, I would rather take my chances with an arm that features a removable headshell anytime (Technics 1200G/GR etc).

Otherwise it will be a safer tightrope walk to remove the arm first. Changing the cartridge with the arm in situ is simply a non starter with a deck like the LP12.

That’s a tightrope walk without a net.