Tempted to buy a Macintosh

I am quite tempted to buy a Macintosh amp, and would like to learn more about it.

I have a Almarro 318B (18W) integrated and a Triode Lab 2A3 integrated.  For speakers, I have a set of Zu Omen Def I and Spatial Audio X5.  I haven’t heard a Masintosh in person.  I mainly like its retro look.  From reviews, I heard it has a very smooth sound, which may match with my listening preference.  I only listen to Jazz and Bossa Nova with low-medium volume.  And my questions are:

1) My speakers are efficient speakers and I listen in low volume.  So, I don’t need and want big power.  Is Macintosh a good match to my speakers?  I have no interest to change my speakers for now.

2) my budget is around $3000 for used equipment.  That is not a lot for a Mac.  So, it seems I would go for an integrated.  

3) I like tubes, but it seems Macintosh is more a SS brand.  And it seems there is no tube integrated.  The entry level MA252 is a hybrid with a tube preamp and SS amp.  I listen to some your tube video and it sounds great.  But of course, can’t draw any conclusion base on YouTube videos.  Is that a good choice to step into Macintosh world?  Or people would suggest to go different routes to get the full potential of Macintosh?  That is all SS, or separate tube pre amp (e.g. Coincident or Supratek) and power amp (MC275)?
gte357s
@effischer 
yes, I hear good thing about the MC275.  The only thing is I will need a preamp, which then increase the cost, and one more component to worry about having synergy.  If I am going to get a preamp, I read very good reviews on Supratek and Coincident which are $2000-$2500 used.  Together with the MC275 will be like $6000 .... 

and what’s your opinion on the 252?  I found this YouTube video with MA252 and Marten Duke 2 monitor speaker.  Honestly, I am shocked by the mid bass in that video with such a small monitor speaker.  I wonder if a subwoofer is placed somewhere, or it is because of the 252.
I'm not sure a Youtube video is an adequate overview of what a system could sound like.  That said, I am very confident that any Mc amp section will deliver everything your speakers can take.  The depth, silent backdrop and fidelity are exceptional, IMO.

In your case, you've been working with integrated amps for some time, so a MA252 might make a nice upgrade.  In my case, I found the best results with a tube preamp and SS power.  I'm also a jazz fan, but trend more toward big band and fusion.  Full disclosure is appropriate:  I turned in my C2300 for a C50 for reasons that had nothing to do with sound quality.

So, I suggest you consider if you want to go to separates or stick with integrated.  Separates will reveal a lot of detail in the music and enable you to optimize the pre and amp sections to your personal preferences.  I'm a vinyl junkie with 2 tables, so the higher end Mc preamps were good solutions.  I've always preferred SS power, primarily because control over the drivers seems more audibly defined to my ear.

If that seems of interest, you could go with any number of affordable SS amps like the MC7100 I mentioned earlier and a tube pre like a C2200 to accomplish a similar result.  Alternatively, you could go with a MC275 and a C45 or MX unit if you really want to do tube power.  Either of those alternatives could land you below your maximum budget, too.

I strongly suggest an email to Audio Classics as a good investment of time. They really know what they are doing, are Mc experts and genuinely interested in delivering superior value to their customers.  They have been my go-to source for high-end audio for 30+ years, and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Have fun & good hunting!
gte357s OP yes, I hear good thing about the MC275. The only thing is I will need a preamp, which then increase the cost, and one more component to worry about having synergy.

Only decent Mac was the MC275.
Save your money, they don’t need anymore gain from an active preamp. Go direct if your source has volume control or go passive preamp.
They love a 10kohm passive preamp, as they are 90kohm input and have good low input sensitivity of only 1.2v in on the rca input for maximum output watts, most sources today give out more than 2v!! some even 4v!!

Cheers George
The only thing I didn't see is a budget. You have a limit? Mcintosh can be spendy if your not careful.  I've owned Mac for 50 years, you know my position. Not to say there aren't better components out there. I will say the overall brand "Mcintosh" is pretty darn good. 

I like tone control, simple... I like a balance option and A/B/Tape out, options. All of my units do. C11,20,22,2500,MX110,MX120s all have tone control. ALL work very well.. SS power amps.. Different and expensive..

The 252 your speaking of is a good example of the "new" Mac sound.
Is it good?... Very clinical, precise, accurate, dark background, no floor noise, silky smooth especially with CD......I called the MA252 a CDs dream. With an ES Sony the playback was just magical.  The unit was made for CDs simple... These words explain how it sounds to me on a round speaker system... They can put out some good sound... I heard it with B&W. 

MC275 has a few models there. The early ones, look out, they can get very close to 90 watts per rail.  They can also be used in series, paralleled or STRAPPED. You can stack Macs. They are stable @ 2 ohms. You can fry eggs on them too..HOT!!!! They can blast my friend. The later models like the GG, SE (SS), with ICs have a different sound for sure,,, quite different..They are A different AB class of amp..Different transformers too.

There is one thing they surpass all others on, SERVICE. You can get your Mac fixed in Antarctica... really...Half the stuff made today you can't even get a schematic for, Cary Audio is a great example of that.. ....Mac... Good service everywhere, in the world...

Regards