Telarc 1812 revisited

I've posted several threads about the trackability of this record and have received many scholarly answers, with emphasis on physics, geometry, compliance, weight, angles,price and all sorts of scientific explanations about tonearms, cartridges, VTA, etc, etc. Let's cut to the chase: I have a 1970's Pioneer 540 in the garage I bought for $5 at a thrift store plus an Audio Technica cartridge for which I paid $30 This combo. tracks the Telarc 1812 perfectly without problems while my $4000 Rega and $1200 Project bounce out of the grooves.. I'd really finally like to get some explanation and resolution as to this discrepanccy
boofer

Showing 5 responses by peterayer

Raul, the designer of My Sonic Labs also designs Air Tight cartridges. Can't remember his name, but you can look it up on the net.
Raul, Thanks for your advice. I agree, the purpose of this discussion is to learn about the subject at hand. I once saw a very informative video of what happens on a micro scale to a Formula One racing tire as it heats up at speed. One of the things I learned was that there is no ideal tire tread for ALL road conditions. Specific designs are optimized for different conditions, and that is why extreme performance cars change tires frequently depending on conditions.

I think Doug's car analogy was well explained.

I don't have 4-5 top cartridges to learn about tracking abilities in depth, first hand. I am sorry. That is why JCarr's contributions are helpful.
Thanks Doug for a very well reasoned and clear post. Your contributions on this forum are much appreciated.
Raul, Have you given the Kleos any time to break in? Does this even make a difference, in your opinion?

Perhaps you can start a Kleos vs. Akiva thread and have more people respond to this topic as they might not find it in this thread which about the 1812 recording and tracking ability.