Technics SL1210GAE + Accuphase E-480 (AD-50) + ??? (cartridge)

Looking for some great cartridge options for the Technics SL1210GAE (stock) and the Accuphase E-480 with the AD-50 phonostage.  The challenge I see is that many options like the Kiseki Purpleheart seems to want higher loading than the AD-50 is capable of (300ohms, max).  I'm looking to spend up to $4000 for a cartridge that sounds amazing.  Using Magico S5 MkII speakers.

I like authoritative bass, but a really airy midrange and treble that has a clear "ease" to it.  I like my midrange "painted" in front of me instead of coming at me.  I had heard the Purpleheart was great that way, but I'd prefer not to get into separate phonostages for a second system, hence the use of the AD-50.
tre9901

Showing 2 responses by solypsa

I do not have direct experience with the Accuphase AD-50 phono, so my comments come from general experience:
 I would hesitate to jump into a 0.2mV cart unless user experience strongly suggests the phono is up to it. That's quite a low output and generally requires excellence from the phono...For a lomc it is possible that splitting the budget between cart and SUT and then using the MM input *may* yield better results. I am not a 'SUT all the time' person btw...

Oh and the Sculpture A carts and SUT are both worth a look in addition to the other good suggestions above.

Caveat: I am in the trade and have a relationship with Sculpture A.

@rauliruegas thanks for the detail! I am aware of Accuphase as an excellent manufacturer. While 66db is enough, within the context of the preamp requirements, my comment was simply that a cart of 0.2mV output will put any phononstage to the test and only the best will shine. Thats all. This may be one of the best...as I said I have not had experience with it directly.