Technics SL1200 Footer thread size?

I've done a search of the threads, but I can't find the answer.

Does anyone know the thread size of the Technics SL1200 footers?

Thanks in advance.
128x128tvad

Showing 4 responses by armstrod

M6 is the correct thread size, and the Mapleshades are very nice, but perhaps overkill on the SL-1200. I use these on my SP-15 (same thread size):

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-717

and they work great at considerably less expense.

David
Tvad,

M6 = 6mm diameter, yes, and for a bolt you also have to specify the length, usually in centimeters. More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread

David
Since I'm no longer using my Technics footers, I measured one and the stud is just short of 1/2" long. Of course, the adjustment range would be less than that as you'd need to leave a few threads screwed in to the base for stability, so Tvad is pretty close, maybe just a hair more than 1/4" total.

The studs on the Parts Express cones I use are much longer, so the range is probably 1/2" or more. Since the cones also have a threaded receptacle, you'd need to leave a few threads screwed in on both ends. If you need an inch or more of adjustment range, I don't think they'll do it unless you buy some threaded rod and make longer studs.

Having an inch of M6 threads exposed would be far less than ideal. I've thought about applying some Loctite to the cone ends, but haven't done it yet. That might lend a bit more stability. You could also try nuts to back up against the base and cones. If my floor were as uneven as yours, I'd make wooden spacers (in place of the coins) that would get you in the ballpark of level, then only do the fine adjustment with the feet.

David
Tvad's sorbothane suggestion is a good one, as I've done the same thing. McMaster Carr has a wide variety of sizes and durometers. Be aware, however, that sorbothane will compress over time, so if you're using different thicknesses under different feet you'll need to check your level periodically and readjust the feet to compensate.

Johnnyb53's recommendation to get the rack level first will cut down both on the thickness of sorbothane you'll need and the adjustment range of the feet.

David