Technics SL1200/1210 owners - which mat?

I've upgraded to the Boston Audio mat, it's quite a big improvement over the stock rubber mat. I thought the stock rubber mat sounded very loose and ripe in the bass. The mids and highs were drowned out by the loose bass. Maybe this is the 'dark' sound people are referring to when listening to the Technics?

The Boston Audio Design Mat1 brings the sound together, firming up the bass, and bringing it in line with the mids and highs. Far more cohesive presentation.

What other mats have you tried and are using?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjames1969

Showing 3 responses by zenblaster

Hi James- I just got my 1210 M5G last week and having a ball with it. I am curious as to how a mat that is under the lp and not even in the signal path can have such a profound influence on the sound. I know that I am showing my ignorance, but if I don't ask I will not learn. My experience has been that room size, shape and acoustics has a measurable effect on sound and is probably more the culprit of the same table sounding different to some, not to mention the vast differences in electronics and speakers. I try different mats and for the life of me can tell no difference whatsoever. I do like the music that my Technics table makes though, a vast difference from the Parasound 1200 I had previously.
I feel like Casper
Can someone tell me how a mat changes the tone? What are the physics behind it? Obviously these tweeks work, thousands are spent and volumes written. Are sounds really generated from platters/matts? Is it so subtle only a trained ear can hear? Pardon if I sound sarcastic, that is not my intention.
Thanks Solman- That makes sense- I am going to try some different mats and see the difference, I'll try flipping the stock KAB mat also.
Thanks you guys