Tannoy Stirlings on the way!

Hi, everybody.  Longtime member, first time caller.

I just ordered up a pair of Tannoy Stirling GR floorstanders, and, frankly, I'm looking for people to rejoice with!

I'm a speakers guy, through and through.  I've got Dynaudios, Focals, B&Ws, Totems, Wharfedales, Klipsches, and even my old Polk 5Bs, the first speakers I ever bought, way back in the '80s.  I wanted to try something very different, and the Prestige line Tannoys really spoke to me.  The coincident drivers, the old-school-ish paper cone, the old-school cabinets and ports.  I'm really looking forward to hearing how they soundstage!

I thought about getting the Turnberrys, but the Stirlings should be just about the perfect size for my [extremely irregular] room.  Especially since I already have a pair of subs.

I'm pretty chuffed.
trentmemphis

Showing 6 responses by cd318

@pehare

I’ve placed my Berkeley’s on 14 inch slatted wooden benches from IKEA about 8 inches from the front wall.

That puts the dual concentric tweeters at ear height (about 34 inches off the floor).

I tried them on the floor initially but their sound was a little too mid bass heavy, at least for my tastes. For probably the same reason every speaker I’ve tried in here has benefited from decent height.

It just goes to show there’s no one-fits-all answer. No two people, their chairs, their rooms or tastes are exactly the same.

In my case I’ve always preferred the tweeters to be at least at ear level. Probably why most car systems with their door speakers set low don’t sound that great to me.
@trentmemphis,

"I'll be interested to hear where you land with the stands. I'm still trying to figure that one out, myself. Have you experimented with rake at all?"

I don't think it's worth sweating too much over such things as there's unlikely to be one position that works optimally with all recordings.

Personally I think height is the big one, and then getting the fastest tightest bass, and then it gets really tough..
@comchenry 

Wow, the Tannoy Stirlings versus the Revel F228Be's!

That's almost like the best of old world v the best of the new.

It will be nice if the Tannoys can put up a decent show for themselves. Revel speakers are attaining an almost mythic status nowadays, the way Tannoys once did.
The Stirling’s look similar in size to my Berkeley’s, but with better cabinets. I have to put mine on small wooden benches to get the tweeters up to ear height, at around 6 inches from the front wall.

If they have that classic in-house Tannoy sound they should sound more like real music than any of your previous speakers.

They’ll never be the most accurate speakers or the ones that image or disappear best, but they should be amongst the easiest to relax and listen into.

To my ears there is something so correct about the Tannoy ’olde worlde’ paper coned dual concentric presentation that is very difficult to find elsewhere.

At any price.
@audioguy85,

No worries.

I think most of us here would understand that Sugden have been making pretty solid amps for a very, very long time.

@mulveling 

Great write up.

My 1978 Berkeley's have the 15 inch alnico pepperpot driver but apart from the fact that I remember reading that they crossed over around 1kHz I don't really know that much about them.

So it looks as if the tweeter is covering most of the midrange, or am I missing something else?