Talk but not walk?

Hi Guys

This isn't meant to start a fight, but it is important to on lookers. As a qualifier, I have my own audio forum where we report on audio issues as we empirically test them. It helps us short cut on theories and developing methods of listening. We have a wide range of systems and they are all over the world adding their experiences to the mix. Some are engineers, some are artist and others are audiophiles both new and old. One question I am almost always asked while I am visiting other forums, from some of my members and also members of the forum I am visiting is, why do so many HEA hobbyist talk theory without any, or very limited, empirical testing or experience?

I have been around empirical testing labs since I was a kid, and one thing that is certain is, you can always tell if someone is talking without walking. Right now on this forum there are easily 20 threads going on where folks are talking theory and there is absolutely no doubt to any of us who have actually done the testing needed, that the guy talking has never done the actual empirical testing themselves. I've seen this happen with HEA reviewers and designers and a ton of hobbyist. My question is this, why?

You would think that this hobby would be about listening and experience, so why are there so many myths created and why, in this hobby in particular, do people claim they know something without ever experimenting or being part of a team of empirical science folks. It's not that hard to setup a real empirical testing ground, so why don't we see this happen?

I'm not asking for peoples credentials, and I'm not asking to be trolled, I'm simply asking why talk and not walk? In many ways HEA is on pause while the rest of audio innovation is moving forward. I'm also not asking you guys to defend HEA, we've all heard it been there done it. What I'm asking is a very simple question in a hobby that is suppose to be based on "doing", why fake it?

thanks, be polite

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

128x128michaelgreenaudio

geoffkait,

It is getting to be cute. I would have never thought of any of those questions myself.

4. Can you prove your hearing ability in a blind test?

When checking one's hearing ability, a person does not have to be devoid of visual stimuli. She/he could, but it is not necessary to insist on it.

geoffkait,

"I respect that you will always respond. Even when there’s absolutely no reason to."

You are a reason to.

I suspect that prof would be happy if he could write the same note to Michael Green.

@geoffkait

>>>>Let me answer with a question. Why are the very hardest cones have the best performance and the softer cones like brass and carbon fiber sound the worst?

Depending on geometry - the shapes of cones will always vary performance greatly. The hardest cones according to your opinion have the best performance referring to Mohs’ scale as some type of scientific proof that hardness is a finer conductor for resonance where that relationship is extremely subjective at best.

Depending on material - brass is manmade where the chemistry and metallurgy varies greatly from supplier to supplier. There are quite a few choices when it comes to brass selections used in production that adds another variable in establishing performance criterion for comparison sake.

Depending on metallurgy - where a cheaper imported brass might look the same and even have the same “certifications in print” and are told it is the same material however we have gone through this process and will state otherwise. Metallurgy is critical to our product’s performance. Star Sound purchases a premium grade of brass and acquires it from a single source here in the States hence we benefit from thirty years of consistency in performance. We cannot speak for others.

Depending on the cost of the cone - comparing a $25 part to a higher priced item establishes a disadvantage although in some areas of the marketplace the lesser cost remains the stronger performer.

Depending on what the cone is resting on - a piece of wood will not yield the same result as any type of steel, copper, acrylic or carbon, etc shelf material. You make statements based on your analogy that somehow always relates to some type of chart or experiment having nothing to do with audio and/or sound.

You can classify the brass cone as being part of your worst sound however the history and longevity supporting the Audio Point™ tends to prove otherwise. Keep in mind, our particular brass cone is but one part involving the geometries used in our platforms, mechanically grounded studio environments and musical instruments so it’s not just a cone but serves multiple purposes.

Pop Quiz: Why is seismic vibration much more important for SQ than acoustic vibration or induced vibration? Especially for vinyl playback.

Where on Earth does one acquire testing data that could possibly support an answer to such a loaded and highly subjective question as this?

You forgot to include mechanical and electromechanical vibration in your question as these two also play a significant factor in the “importance role” of the formula but before any attempt to answer is even considered we need to know...

Are we talking day to day every minute mini earthquakes, close proximity vehicle traffic, extreme SPL in a pressurized environment, low noise levels in a recording studio, seismic as in trains passing by, air conditioners on/off, etc.?

Next - does your data or test methodology state how mechanical and electrical noise within all the electronic chassis was managed?

Next - what was the turntable resting on? A wood rack, an acrylic, a combo of lots of materials rack, a Sistrum Platform™, they all have very different performance values. The equipment rack is the foundation that either excels, limits or reduces the potential of any sound system and affects the outcome of all testing methodologies including what the test equipment itself is residing on.

Next - what facility was used for the testing and what was the test criterion used to produce your findings other than your own opinions?

Next - a biggie - what footer system factory or otherwise used to support the turntable or turntables? As you related to above there are differences between material, hardness and shapes govern audible performance where a simple factory turntable footer now controls the outcome and sonic results no matter what testing formula, equipment or methodology you used to set up this unanswerable question. What if the turntable footer is inefficient or less of a sonic performer - does that make the data and/or your opinion less relevant?

Finally - how did you make comparisons between seismic and airborne resonance?

Extra credit: Why is the material of the top plate of a vibration isolation stand relatively immaterial, to use a word?

I presume you are talking about an electronic controlled isolation stand such as Kinetic Systems Bench Mate - correct? Otherwise we refer back to question one and two - refrain, refrain, refrain.

We are limited by experience using these devices in audio applications as isolation is not a focus for our Company. In music reproduction we do not study nor rely on what is best for aerospace, biosciences, laser supports, etc. We do not study the effects of resonance related to electron microscope stability. Audio environments involve higher sound pressure levels that establish heavier amplitudes of resonance in comparison to what is generated in a clean room or scientific testing laboratory.

Since isolation and resonance energy transfer methodologies are entirely different so is the sonic performance created from each product. We have experienced Kinetic Systems in comparison with our products at a local dealer where the sonic reproduction using the same turntable, speakers, racking, electronics and cables remained the same for comparison between both devices. The result in sound performance was extremely diverse.

Two different theories, two different products (isolation and mechanical grounding) yield two very different sound qualities. It’s not like comparing two amplifiers of the same power and cost where one may point out minor differences in sonic. The differences are extremely audible where the listener will immediately know what performance is best for their sound - the differences are not subtle whatsoever.

Try placing a Sistrum Platform under the isolation table. Your previous listening results and information from the table are now also subject to change.

In closing:

When you can answer those questions you will answer your own question.

We will never be able to answer ‘those’ questions due to the vagueness of ‘those’ questions. I was hoping you would answer our initial question.

At some point, you should take us up on our offer to provide you a Sistrum Platform for your review. It might change your opinion on a few old school standards.

Robert

@audiopoint,

I kind of went the way of MG’s Low Mass System concept, more by coincidence really, inasmuch as I downsized about 3 years ago to the point where there is no more amplifier, no more World’s Most Modded Oppo CD Player, no more House AC, no finicky AC Ground, no power cords, no interconnects, no speaker cables, no big toxic transformers, no more fuses, no multitude of electrical connections to worry about, no chassis to fret about.

And because I went to a headphone system there is no more concern about room treatments, at least the usual ubiquitous ones. I do actually employ many thousands of the unspeakable type of treatments around the house as you can perhaps image. Perhaps not. 😬 In any case, my current system of Made in Japan Panasonic portable CD player and naked Grado SR-80 headphones are pretty light. Just to be on the safe side the Panny is up on a highly specialized isolation platform which is mostly glass crystal and glass and glass micro beads for high mass, all of which are up on some springs of my design.

The Crystal Palace or Palace of Solitude as I like to call it comes in around 50 lbs. so, I kind of doubt there would be a place for a Sistrum but I appreciate the offer. I suggest you try some springs directly under whatever component you have sitting on a Sistrum. You know, for isolation. Never up, never in. Besides, doesn’t MG use springs?

geoffkait,

Did you buy Grado 80 after not-so-long-ago mapman's recommendation to you to upgrade from SR 60, or you had had them before that and he was incorrect in assuming you had SR 60?

On a more important note, what model of Panasonic CD player is it that you have and why did you decide on that one?