System synergies: Chaotic or predictable?

When speaking of system "synergies", do you consider these to be chaotic? or are they a predictable sum of the character of the components?  I'm surprised at people who think they can predict the sound of a system from their perceptions of the components (derived, in turn, from other system combinations), and even more surprised and suspicious of the 'tone control' approach to purchasing cables and amplifiers suggested by another forum member (who does happen to be a dealer). 

I think these two views are contradictory. If we think that components have 'magical' synergies beyond our ability to measure, then it seems unlikely that we also can predict how combinations of components will sound.

ahofer
Post removed 
Kost you dont know a damm thing.

Most reviewers dont use measurements to codify a review they use their ears.

Its like taste. Go to the best steakhouse in town and order their 2 month old aged sirloin. Now go to your local Diner and order theír best steak. 

Willing to bet they taste the same right?

Can you measure sublime flavors?

Dont think so but you know it when you taste it. 

Can you identify which tastes better by measuremets? What over tone is more pleasing to your Ear? Can you quantify more pleasing?

A bit more abstract then just resistance and impedance or amounts of feedback.

If you have just great ingredients does that means you can prepare a great dish?

Or is it necessany to produce a truly, great dish, to have  a combination of conditions,  great chief, great tools, great steak and the right proportions.

A great steak doesnt happen by itself nor does a great hifi.
I don't think wine or cooking analogies are apt here. I'm also pretty sure you are wrong about wine composition, and even gas chromatography of wine.  Measurements are quite developed and component understanding has allowed the introduction of so-called "Frankenwines":

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16136833 
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cloned-frankenwines-fool-even-experts-hhh7qssp7

I have a ton of respect for sommeliers, because they have to do BLIND identifications in order to get certified.  These are some of the hardest tests in the world.  I recommend the book "Cork Dork", on passing the sommelier test, to everyone here.

To my knowledge neither blind nor null testing has successfully demonstrated *audible* differences with cables (without inserts & such, obviously). I could be wrong, but if it had happened, it seems to be flying under the radar.   There seems like a strong case to start from the null hypothesis of no difference and ask for proof to the contrary.

As for the other nonsense with kosst, it's a shame it has become personal.  Dave offers a great service, with an unmatched variety of brands to listen to under one roof.  Y'all should go out there if you are in shopping mode.  Just because we don't see eye to eye on some of his more extraordinary claims doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good dealer when dealers are disappearing.

I'm in Tokyo right now on a business trip. I'm hoping to go to one of those "audiophile bars" tonight and get my SET+horns on.
Post removed 
It’s essentially a subjective hobby. We use “non technical” terms because it’s helpful in understanding and conveying the characteristics of sound. Terms like holographic image, glare, air, sweetness, articulation, slam, grainy, clean, open, pop. Words like Beauty, It’s how we communicate the characteristics of sound. It’s an art and a science. It’s two mints in one! 🤗 But science can be so dreary 🙁