Swapping Paradigm studio 100 tweeter to Beryllium

I own paradigm studio 100 v5 for a couple of years, and wondered whether it is possible to swap the original G-Pal tweeter with the signature P-Be Beryllium tweeter.

Tweeter sizes apear to be the same.

I read only about one person who actually performed this swap, which, according to his testimony, made wonders to the speaker. Since he was banned from that forum, a complete feedback could not be achieved..

Due to the signature overpricing, I'm considering this option.

I would love to have feedback whether anyone else performed this swap, and their feedback: compatebility, final performance, P-Be pricing, crossover issues..

Thanks in advance for your responses!
tivanlasik

Showing 4 responses by bifwynne

Tiv . . ., just curious, did you call Paradigm to check if the Sig Be tweeter is a simple drop in. There may be other compatibility issues, e.g., cross-over, driver matching, time and phase coherence, etc.
Dunno, but I'll tell ya that I own the S8 v2 which has Be tweeters. The Paradigm Be tweeter is one of the best on the market today. Other high end brands that use Be tweeters include Magico and Usher.

Btw, just read somewhere that the cost of neodynium super magnets has sky-rocketed. Guess what Paradigm uses in its mid-range and tweeter driver motor assemblies??

Bottom line: call Paradigm and see if there is a Be tweeter that you can "drop" into your speakers. Main issue is whether the Be tweeter is a simple drop in. There may be other compatibility issues, e.g., cross-over, driver matching, time and phase coherence, etc.

My understanding is that the tweeter did NOT change in the S8 v3 model. Instead, the v3 modified the midrange and bass drivers to make the overall speakers 3db more efficient. Paradigm says that the changes result in the v3 being more "dynamic" than the v2, whatever that means.
Fyi ... I heard the Paradigm Tribute about 18 months ago at a dealer. I hate to tell you what it did to another A'gon favorite brand speaker when I "A/B'ed" the two speakers using the same amp. If speakers had tails (not tales), the other brand crawled out of the dealer's showroom on its metaphorical woofers.

And the nice part about it was that I didn't need a cranial bubble level, custom cables, or a protractor to listen to the Tribute. I just sat in a chair and listened. By contrast, I felt like I was in an eye doctor's chair with my chin in a fixed position when I listened to the other brand. If I move my head 1 inch, the sound image shifted -- for the worse.

So here's my question to the Forum .... how does Paradigm manage to pack so much speaker into a cabinet and charge so little??