suspending monitors from the ceiling

I have a pair of Canton 9k reference speakers in piano black and I  was thinking of suspending them in space via the ceiling.

If this setup sounded good someone would already be doing it. So would this setup mess up the sound ? How? What could I expect sonically? What problem would have to be overcome? 

thanks for you thoughts

scott22

@scott22 

I am doing much the same with my Vandy VLR's, but on some wall mount speaker clamps.

I, too, wondered about the effects of vibration on the speakers, as they aren't really tightly held in their clamps, so I asked Mr. V.

He suggested to touch the sides of the cabinets. If they aren't moving as much as the nearby wall, then using any additional isolation shouldn't make much difference.

-Mind you, I was considering bolting my speaker cabinets to a rigid wall/ceiling mount that would allow me to adjust their positions.

In any case, I did do as he suggested, and my speaker cabinets showed little vibration at the volumes I listen to, so I probably won't be changing their mounting.

Bob

And here was I thinking that for a speaker to work correctly (i.e. as designed) and at optimal efficiency, the cabinet had to be 100% rock solid.

-i.e. NO MOVEMENT WHATSOEVER !

Any movement in the cabinet results in degraded sound.

I’m with @erik_squires on this one

One experiment a friend tried that supports this...

- he has monitors on a stand that rests on carpet.

- So we tried placing 15lb weights on top of the monitors

- the sound improved greatly - i.e. once the cabinets stopped being moved by the drivers

Adding heavy weight to the top of a speaker is a very affordable way to improve things, but it gets expensive if you want to make it "pretty" :-)

Regards - Steve

Wonka's experiment is not the only one.  It's pure and simple physics. 

Of course, a lot of things come into play.  The location of the driver, the volume, the mass of the speaker, and the location of the driver relative to the stand.  Tall, skinny, lightweight speakers with drivers waaaay up high are going to have more of a problem than super heavy, and inert speakers with big woofers next to the floor.

I have seen Dr. Floyd Toole Revel Salon 2 floor standing speakers hung from his ceiling, I kidd you not. 
N.B.  He is the author of Sound Reproduction Loudspeakers and Room.