streaming and audiophile stereo

I have heard it said that an audio system is only as good as its weakest link. I want to complete a system that will give me access to lots of music by Tidal and Roon, and I want the music played through some true audiophile components.  I am used to tube preamps, and will probably go that way again, though ss remains a possibility.  The speakers I intend to use are very efficient - 20 watts of amplification would be ample.  Here's my question:  in such a system, how important, and how variable, are the audio qualities of the digital source component - the streamer - at the front end?  If it does MQA does that alone mean it is the highest quality audio possible at this end of the system?  Or do some that accommodate MQA provide better sound than others that also accommodate MQA?  I see lots of reviews of features of these components, but not much about their individual sonic qualities.  Leaving aside features and convenience, are some better sounding than others and would this depend entirely on the DAC used?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtwilightround

The problem with the streaming services is that there is no way to verify the provenance of music files. You don’t know if it was a copy from a master or a second generation that was dicked with (remastered). I stick with physical media where provenance is easlly verifiable. Buy a good transport/DAC! Now's a good time to buy CDs as prices are low!

You have to try streaming services on your equipment to see which you prefer. 

The front end is important:

1) Your network/ethernet connection

2) Your streaming source

3) Your DAC

What is your biggest concern of the above?

@jasonbourne52 

Yes, there are possible issues with the quality of streaming files, but there are no guarantees with physical media either.

So much is dependent on the quality of the mastering, the production and which version you happen to buy. Currently, I am transitioning away from vinyl to streaming and CD's and the range of quality on CD versions of the "same" album is a big problem. It would be nice if I could just buy any CD to replace my vinyl, but it has morphed into a treasure hunt.