Stereo or monoblocks

I recently bought a pair of the JBL HDI-3800 speakers. I also own a McIntosh C-2300 preamp. Should I buy a used McIntosh mc402 stereo power amp or try to find a pair of a different brands monoblocks? The new Schiit Tyr has my interest.

128x128thbullard3

Stereo or Mono, it does not matter other than it is easier to physically move the mono amps And the mono amps can be placed nearer the speakers. I am the owner of Quicksilver, PrimaLuna(stereo/mono) and Bedini(stereo) amps. Some amps are only available in mono or stereo. Just listen to the amps. Then choose!

I get enjoyment out of either of my main system amps-custom 125W tube monoblocks Class A/B 6 or 8db of global feedback and 70W tube EAR 890 stereo amp Class A zero global feedback.  My best friend has an RM9 stereo Class A/B amp which sounds great as well.  I wouldn't choose one type over another on the basis of mono or stereo construction as there is so much more involved just as I wouldn't choose a DAC based on it's DtoA converter chip.  

Has anyone mentioned the little bit about monoblocs allowing you to get the amps (much) closer to the speakers? For some, a not unimportant consideration. 

@unreceivedogma Good point. I have mine underneath (ESL57) or beside (Spendor) my speakers with 24" or 30" of speaker wire.

@unreceivedogma 

Yes… locating monoblocks within a foot or two (and shortening the cable) is supposed to make a big difference. A friend / dealer has done this repeatedly to good effect. Unfortunately, I have not… the interconnect / speaker cable cost is way too high for me to do as an experiment.