Standmount speaker recommendation to use with Peachtree Audio NOVA125

Hello everyone,

I am seeking your assistance and recommendations for selecting a great pair of stand mount speakers to replace my Magnepan MMGs.

So far, my very modest system includes:
- Peachtree Audio NOVA125 integrated amp and bluetooth link;
- NAD 564 CD player;
- SVS SB12-NSD sub, 
- Audioquest/Bluejeans cables throughout. 

My musical tastes are very eclectic, from classic rock to chamber and orchestral classical music, not to mention a good dose of jazz, a touch of pop, and some world music.

The listening room is our living room, opening into a small dining room, for a total of around 50 square meters.

I am replacing the MMGs to try something else, and also because of our cat... I really need to put the speakers up and out of her reach!

I really enjoy the MMG/SVS combination, but would love to find something with more punch.

My sources are mostly FLAC and mp3 (sorry about that!), with a good dose of CDs and a couple hundred vynils (sold my turntable during a move a couple of years ago and have not replaced it yet...).

My budget ranges from 500 to 1000 USD, but I'll go a little higher for an exceptional pair. Looking principally for a clean used pair to maximize my budget.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/recommendations. Basically, I'm looking for great all around speakers that can rock when needed, without totally discarding "finesse" talents when listening to softer, more sophisticated recordings.

Remember that I can still use the SVS sub to boost the very last octaves... Thanks.

Regards to my fellow audiogoners!
JLR261 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjlr261
50 sq meters is a pretty good sized room - so I’m hesitant to suggest a speaker with a driver smaller than 6 inches... (and that might be pushing it)

But a few to research:

Wharfedale Denton 80th, or 85th Anniversary (6.5 inch driver)
Elac
Kef LS50
Monitor Audio Bronze
Focal Aria 906 - Music direct has an open box pair for $999 ($500 off!)
ATC SMC series - might be able to find a v1 in your range.

Good luck with your search!

Hi jmolsberg and veroguy, 

Thanks very much for your suggestions! Those are all speakers I've certainly heard and/or read about...

In fact, I can probably get my hands on a pair of FOCAL 906 for less than $800 in France where my sister lives.

I am also intrigued by the much touted KEF LS50, just seeing how many kudos these speakers have received over the past few years.

Elac seems to have a real hit with its B6 2.0, and cheap too...

I don' t know much about the Monitor Audio Bronze and Nola Boxers, but have certainly heard of the ATC SMC, which are consistently considered to be some of the best stand mount speakers all around.

The challenge is that I currently reside in the Central West African country of Gabon where there are literally NO stereo shops that carry anything worth listening to... Certainly, none of the above mentioned speakers.

I do travel to France fairly regularly, and will find a way to listen to as many models as I can, even if the setup and physical room will never be the same as mine...

In the end, I am fairly confident I have a great deal of options today at my price range for monitor speakers, it's just a matter of time. I purchased my mint condition MMG's for less than $500, so it's just a matter of time, patience, and a little luck?

Thanks again for your input and have a great weekend! I'll of course let your know what I finally acquired when the time comes.

jlr261
I used to have a Peachtree Nova150 and found the sound to be a bit on the dry side.  I'd suggest a warm speaker such as the Wharfedale Denton 80th.  Agreed driver size still may be too small though.