Spendor D9 vs. PSB T3 speakers.

Spendor D9 vs. PSB T3 speakers. Price about the same but which one is the better one? Has anyone heard them both and can make a comparison?
128x128zeal

Showing 2 responses by avanti1960

I have not heard the D9 but have heard the PSB T3 and just recently purchased the Spendor D7.  
The PSB is a very nice speaker with a smooth presentation but the bass response can be overdone and peaky / one note hard sounding. 
The design if the Spendor tower's slotted port / semi transmission line lets them produce a very high quality bass that is unique and set apart from the competition.  Give them enough power and they will easily play full-range with authority with clean, well defined notes.  
In fact the bass response during my D7 demo is what sold me on them.  I played a jazz piece with a well recorder upright bass and could not believe the sound, powerful physical impact yet well defined and no peaks whatsoever.  I was sold instantly and am extremely happy with the purchase.  
GEs produce incredible bass because of the built in powered woofers but fall short in midrange tone, timbre and transparency.  They are also highly directional with limited sweet spot.  Can be "flat" sounding with jazz and horns.  
The PSBs are bass heavy and the bass becomes overdone as they age.  Midrange can be glaring but the treble and dynamics are excellent.  
Heard 'em all and chose the Spendors.  Glad I did.