Speakers for a large room for around $1000

I am moving soon into a new house where the main room is about 12x14ft with a vaulted ceiling up to the second floor (maybe about 15-20 ft high).

I am looking for 2-channel stereo speakers exclusively for music. I don't really play my music that loud, but I do like the music to really fill up the room. I'm not a huge audiophile (meaning I'm not going to spend a lot of time analyzing or obsessing over my speakers)--- all I'm looking for are some good solid speakers that have a good frequency response (and might sound good with a tube amplifier).

My budget is about $1000. I could stretch that up to maybe $1300, but I'd have to be convinced the extra is really worth it. I'd also really prefer to have new speakers, mostly for the warranty. Though again, I could be convinced otherwise if it's worth it.

I've considered speakers from a whole bunch of manufacturers, i.e, Paradigm to B&W, Axiom, DefTech, Klipsch, Polk, etc, but due to my geographical location I'm really not able to demo many, so I'm stuck trying to make this decision based on online reviews. It's tough for me to separate audio speakers from home-theater speakers just by reading reviews.

Any and all help is really appreciated!
blnd2spll

Showing 8 responses by rrog

I would also consider your room average size. I recommend ProAc speakers. They are easy to drive and sound good with tube amplifiers.

I was going to recommend Vandersteen speakers, but I did not because they are a risky purchase when buying used. Vandersteen has an ongoing problem with heat build up in the crossover which can damage crossover parts and degrade the sound. This occurs when the speakers are played at high sound levels for extended periods of time.

Unsound, I don't have to, Vandersteen admits it.

I am an old fan of Vandersteens and I have had great sound with Vandersteen speakers and Audio Research, but before buying a pair of used Vandersteens I would have to know the life history.

Unsound, Richard Vandersteen told me about this problem during a telephone conversation. On some of the later models he incorporated a warning system with LEDs that would flash behind the grill.

A common cause is when the volume is increased enough to hear music outside like during a party or a backyard BBQ.
Since the speaker is a sealed enclosure there is nowhere for the heat to go, no ventilation.

Unsound, This is not like over driving an electrostatic speaker and most people would not consider this type of use as abuse.

As always, don't take my word for it. Call Vandersteen Audio and ask if this problem has been resolved.

"most people would not consider this type of use as abuse."

I agree with you and I happen to like Vandersteen speakers. I have fond memories of great sounds with Vandersteens, but they do have their limitations.

Unsound, You're a funny guy. Did it appear that way? Sorry about that. I was posting a response to your last post.

I am trying to say I am not picking on Vandersteen in any way since I also agree some Vandersteen models are a terrific bargain and I have enjoyed Vandersteen speakers in the past. However, I would still be leary of buying a used pair of Vandersteens speakers without know the speaker's history. The only other speakers I would be this concerned about would be Martin Logan CLS and Quad Electrostatics.
Martin Logan at Best Buy? Are you sure? This must have something to do with the new owner.