Speaker Recommendation: 20K range

I’m looking for new speakers in the <20K range. 

I am not looking for used, unless it’s a demo model straight from an AD.

I am hoping to find a line that clearly beats speakers in the ~10K range like Magico A3, Revel 228BE, Legacy Focus SE etc.

I will be pairing the speakers with a Lumin D2 streamer, Mcintosh C2600 pre and MC452 amp. Changing those components is not going to happen anytime soon and so system synergy with those pieces is important. 

I also would like the speakers to be rated at 500W given the amp I will be using and the fact that the listening space is quite large. 

While I mostly listen to jazz, rock, pop, classical and vocals, I am really looking for speakers that sound amazing with any genre. I also need them to sound great at moderate levels of volume. 

I currently have Focal Kanta No 2s, and while they are quite nice, I want something much better in all respects. 

I am not really up to speed on all the audiophile terms that describe the various traits of sound – I just want my jaw to drop when listening to the speakers with any genre at all volume levels, if that’s possible :) 

I am close to NYC and would like to narrow down the list to ~5 candidates before I start auditioning.

Hopefully you guys can help me compile a list!

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

chandybe
Guys

I have a quite a few amps and 11 speakers - 2 bryston 4bsst2’s, a bryston 4b3, an ML 533H and the MC452 for amps, and various B&W and ML speakers - b/c I am running an 11.2 multichannel HT system via an Anthem AVM60, in addition to 2 channel for music. To date I have not compared any of my other speakers to the Kantas, but that just changed..

So my ML 533H normally drives a pair of B&W CM 10S2s and a CMC2 center - yesterday I altered the hookup a bit and I now have the CM10 S2 speakers also connected to my C2600 preamp, by connecting the C2600 to the ML533H. I hooked things up this way just in case I wanted to listen to music using 4 instead of 2 speakers.

Today I listened to music from my Lumin/C2600 and both the MC452 and ML533H - so out of 4 speakers - the Kantas and CM10S2s.

I did a test - I powered off the MC452 and just listened to the CM10 S2’s out of the Lumin/C2600.

And I was hard pressed to find a significant difference between the Kantas and CM10 S2s. The only difference is that the Kantas are more sensitive and so sound louder than the CM10 S2s at a set C2600 volume level. But when I disabled the Kantas, and pumped up the volume, the CM10s sounded virtually as good as the Kantas. I doubt this is because the ML533H is better than the MC452, I think the speakers are just in the same league. Which is a massive disappointment.

Now I need to do more listening, and listening not under the influence since I am enjoying NFL sunday and drinking copious amounts of fine wine , but I think I might have stumbled onto an unexpected finding here..the Kantas at >2x the price of the B&Ws, may not be much better, if they are better at all..than the CM10 S2’s..

Oh boy..this just changed everything..I need to tread very carefully before forking over a lot of money for a new pair of speakers..I cant buy something that isnt unequivocally and indisputably better than what I have..I think this just reiterates the need for a home audition..

More to come after I do additional tests in better controlled and less intoxicated conditions..hope this is just an artifact of ethanol..but Im not so sure..I plan to compare various permutations of amp/speaker combos to confirm these initial findings..

I want something clearly better than the Kantas, but unless I do home auditions or listening at showrooms under like conditions with the same electronics, I may just end up spending 2x what I spent for the Kanta's for nothing or for negligible gain..
chandybe

Very nice gear that you own. I would be interested in reading about your impressions, thoughts on the Bryston 4B-SST2 vs. 4B3.  Then, the Bryston 4B3 vs. Mark Levinson No. 533H for comparison. 

Happy Listening!
Note that I did not pump up the volume that much - just by a few DBs..

So I do not think I fell prey to the volume trap where intensity of sound might seemingly influence or be equated with sonic quality..

Tannoy Prestige series with 15" dual-concentric or 12" DC.

Buy the best Tannoys you can find on the used market. These are the best speakers in the world. They are SET-friendly, and can found in the homes of many hi-fi industry insiders. They are insanely good. Non-concentric drivers always exhibit lobing, which will never completely satisfy the discriminating ear... with the possible exception of the big Vandersteens (which are power-hungry) and Maggies (which are fragile and lacking in the bass) 

chandybe,

I think you are right, the B&W 700 series offers a lot of speaker for the money. They seams to be competitive with speakers costing more.