Speaker match with Pass Labs XA-160

Just upgraded to XA-160 monos. Currently running X-350 with an X-1 pre. Speakers are Audio Physic Virgo IIs with REL Storm III subs in stereo config. Any thoughts on full range speakers that would match well with these gems.
gandme

Showing 3 responses by rauliruegas

Dear Gandme: I agree totally with Frankg. The XA-160 could match with any speaker out there.

Now, if you are looking for a full range speaker that's mean that you are not satisfied with what you have, right?. How could you know if a full range speaker in your room could achieve your quality sound priorities?.

In my experience almost any full range speakers can beat a good set-up of fine speaker/satellite-subwoofer combination and the FRS can't give you any advantage over that kind of combination. The key here is " good set-up ", with good integration not only to the room but between the satellite and the subwoofer through the critical selected crossover frequency and in real stereo fashion.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Gandme: I understand that the REL sub's were designed specific for bass reinforcement ( that is only one of the targets in sub's ) and that they can't integrated in " real stereo way ".
What this mean: that with a REL sub you have to run the main speakers full range because you can't cut/select, through the crossover REL sub, a high-pass frequency. So you are not really take it advantage of the sub's other that the bass reinforcement.
You have to try it, in the moment that you have a real stereo set-up between your main speakers and your sb's I'm sure that will stop to looking for a full range speakers.

This is what I posted in other thread about sub's:

" Where the subs can help us ? :

Intermodulation Distortions: Almost any three ways speaker ( all two ways/one way ) has it's crossover frecuency ( low driver ) between 150Hz and 450Hz. I can assume that any of ours speakers system goes down flat ( at least ) between 60Hz to 20Hz.

What does that means ?, well that a single driver has to reproduce frequencies/harmonics from 20Hz/60Hz to 150Hz/450Hz. With that kind of frequency range here exist a great intermodulation distortions that put it's " color " on the sound reproduction.

You have to imagine that that single woofer/driver has to reproduce, at the same " time ", a 30Hz frequency along a 350Hz frequency: here is where exist that IM that gives heavy distortions in what we hear ( there is no perfect driver: moving coil, electrostatic, ribbon, etc.. The speaker designers has to choose the best " trade offs ", but the distortions are there. ): less clarity, less resolution, less precision, less natural balance, less pitch, les, less, less......., and this is what we are really hearing: LESS MUSIC.

If you read any manufacturer specifications on their speakers they never " write " the value of the IM or harmonic distortions, they tell us the frequency range and how is flat on that range but never " talk " about distortions. I think that you know that when we have a speaker frequency specifications, say: 28Hz to 22kHz +,- 3db, that is a very nice spec, that speaker low driver don't stop at 28Hz it's goes a few hertz below that frequency with heavy harmonic distortion that increase the IM distortion of the sound reproduction of that driver and these additional distortions have a severe degradation in the reproduction of the MUSIC.

What happen when that low driver is free from those frequencies ? ( main speakers: monitors or full range, it does not matters. ), below 80Hz ( this is the crossover frecuency that we find the best point to start to blend a subwoofer ):

SUDDENLY the " lights are on ", your music/audio " life " its born: the mid bass is clean, the midrange is clean, the highs are clean: high resolution every where ( the distortions are almost gone ), and now you can really hear for the first time the MUSIC through your home stereo audio system: what a pleasure!!!!!.

This is truly a discovery for all of us that cares about MUSIC. We really discovery what kind ( quality/quantity ) of audio system we really have and where to work for a future improvements.

Now that we already settle in the subwoofers ( self powered ) with our main speakers ( yes, it is a hard work to do. We need at least: very good ears, love for music, experience with live music, patience, time and good muscles. We have to work with: location of subwoofers and the main speakers too, phase, crossover frecuency, volume/gain. We need two subwoofers not one and this issue is critical. TIP: avoid the common asumption that the crossover point should be at the low frecuency flat response of the main speakers, example: the speakers are flat at 40Hz, then you choose 40Hz for the frecuency crossover between the subs and the speakers, this is a great mistake: remember that we use subwoofers not only for a better and extended low bass but for a better midrange/midbass too. So, the frecuency crossover will be over that 40Hz: not at 40Hz or below 40Hz. ), we have others advantages:

- better quality low bass ( you can have at least one more octave ) and mid bass ( quantity? : you choose it: volume/gain ) ). Now we can heard the " foundation " of the MUSIC ( and its harmonics ) and this single issue is stunning for the pleasure to hear any kind of music. Now, we are nearest to the " real MUSIC ", nothing less.

The first time you can hear the subwoofers right blended on your stereo home audio system: YOU NEVER COULD LIVE WITH OUT THEM AGAIN, ANY ONE CAN, period.

- An improvement in the soundstage reproduction in all parameters: deep, front/side location, wide of the stage, etc...

- the main speakers amplifiers works best ( less distortion, more headroom, less chance of clipping, less amplifier stress, etc...) with out to handle the frecuencies range that now are handle by the dedicated subwoofers amplifiers. This is important for an SS amplifier but for the tubes ones is a must.

- Now the low bass frecuencies are handle for a dedicated driver that was build with specifics characteristics for to work in that frequency range and this low bass driver is matched with an amplifier ( self powered subwoofers ) that was build with specifications that mates excatly what the low bass drivers needs about: frequency response, output impedance, damping, power, etc..... You can't ask for more!!!

- Not only the IM distortion goes down but the harmonic distortion of the low driver of your main speakers goes down too, Btw, the whole harmonic distortion goes down, because ( in the case of my Velodyne's less than 0.5%: with's yours? ) the harmonic distortion of a well self powered designed subwoofer is usually " very low ". This means ( again ) less coloration: MORE MUSIC.

All what I post here are my own experiences and that's what I like to share with all of you.

It works for you?,. I think that you have to try if your speakers are not self powered or headphones.

Imagine how could your Wilson's, Dynaudio's, Karma's, Sonus Faber, Dali's, Merlin's, Martin Logan's, Aerial's, Spendor's, Harbeth's, Thiel's, Alon's, Talon's, Paradigm's, JM Labs, Epos, Avalon's, Boston'S, B&W, Magneplanar's, Proac's, Quad's, Revel, Totem's, etc, etc..... sound.

Better than that: don't imagine, try it. "

Raul.
Dear Greg: I'm sorry to insist, the magic to integrate a pair of self powered subwoofers in true stereo way belongs to the crossover frequency selected: 38Hz/40Hz is to low crossover frequency, is a wrong one.
The first target ( and where the magic is ) when we integrate sub's is to liberate the main speakers ( Virgo ) of frequencies below 80Hz, these frequencies will take it for the sub's down to the very low bass octave. In this manner you will have the low bass ( foundation of the music ) that your main speakers can't handle/give and at the same time your main speakers ( that now are liberated of the frequencies below 80Hz ) will shine with a great mid bass/mid range/high frequency clarity, transparency, natural tonal balance that you can't have it at this moment and that a full range speaker can't beat.

Greg, the crossover frequency must be near 80Hz: in the low pass and high pass crossover filters. What you are doing today does not help to improve the quality sound reproduction in your system and that's why you posted what you are experienced in your system: " Works well with good recordings... not so well with others... ".

The problem is that your REL's does not have a high pass filter, then you need an external crossover to set-up in the right way.
Like I alredy told you: a main speaker/sub wired in the right way ( with same quality speaker level build ) beats almost any non self powered full range speaker. No question about.

Raul.