sony scd-777 dac vs PS Audio DLIII DAC

I have the sony scd-777es (without mods) which i want to improve... I am getting a great price on a new PS Audio Digital Link III. Does it make any sense to use the sony as a transport connected to the PS Audio DLIII? In other words, is the DAC in the 777es better than the PS Audio DAC?

If the sony's inbuilt dac is not better, then would level 2 mods on the sony be a better use for the money than the PS Audio? The sony's slowness doesnt bother me, I am only interested in improving the sound. thanks
aarif

Showing 5 responses by aarif

Thanks Dave_b. So your view is that the Sony XA5400ES would sound a lot better than using the 777es as transport and the PSADLIII DAC? Correct? (The two options will cost me roughly the same money.)

Also just to close the loop on my earlier question... the DAC on the unmodded 777es is not as good as that on the PSADLIII, correct?

Thanks
With respect (and looking at all your past posts) Dave_b, you clearly adore anything Sony.

So I would love to hear if anyone else has a view please.

Thanks a lot
Thanks Jb0194, this will be very useful when i have a bit more cash to afford the Cullen mods -- hopefully soon! :-)

for the moment i can only afford the $650 bargain i am getting on a nearly mint PSADLIII.

Wondering if any one knows if this will be an improvement on my sony 777es (to be used as a transport and for occasional SACD) or if there is somewhere else I can spend the money to improve the front end?

Thanks
So what my pals on Audiogon advise for a guy who has an SCD777es and wants to spend $650 to improve his front end, is the following:
1. Get the new Sony SCD-XA5400es. Problem is I cannot find a single proper review or comparison of this player from an unbiased source.
2. Get a power conditioner: Problem is I am not sufficiently educated in the art of audiophilia to know what the power conditioner does or is :-( Can someone explain?
3. any other ideas guys??
Incidentally, I have a tube amp from Audiovalve in Germany and have the Asa pro grande speakers from France (see photo link below in French but some of the stuff is in English as well).
http://www.asa.fr/pagesProduits/gd_monitor_pro.php
My speaker cables and interconnects are crap (the most expensive monster cable).
In English about my beloved speakers:
http://web.lerelaisinternet.com/asa.fr/pagesEng/aProposAsa.php

anyway looking forward to your advice on my 650 bucks and the front end!