Sony PS-X9

I'm close to making a purchase of mentioned TT.  Price is right at $13K.  Price wise, could I buy a better TT ??

Thanks in advance, 

Jose
jg2077

Showing 23 responses by jg2077

Jp, what are your impressions of the ps x9?

They are asking considerably more than $4,500.... I need to reconsider. 

Jose

Thanks for such prompt response.   I am aware that there is an up charge for its rarity.  I am wanting to collect, but also have a good sounding TT.  I have considered an SP 10, P3, and a GT 2000 vintage TT.  Newer models (pre owned) , I am considering a Kuzma or a Balance.  

There aren't many PS-X9 available to price check....

Jose
My upgrade search began 6 months ago.  The criteria is as follows; sound, rarity and looks.  I want a "statement" piece,  with the looks and sound to match.  I thought of a Technique Sp 10 mk3, and a few others mentioned,  however, they are all readily available...

I prefer to buy "preowned", as it allows me greater options and no mark up..

Jose
Again,  I began my search 6 months ago.  The few I have seen, are at the $13K mark.  How much of that is "mark up" is unbeknownst to me; I've had nothing else to compare to..

Before dropping the coin. I thought it a good idea and reach out to you fine people for advice. 

Jose
Thank you all.  I will communicate with HiFiDo, I've purchased from them before. 

I will also contact JP.

Jose
Yes... the same OLD question...any suggetions??

I am considering a balance ($12K with arm)

A Kuzma XL?? none currently available preowned. 

Thanks in advance, 

Jose
@theophile 
By "GT", is he (reviewer) referring to the Yamaha GT2000 ?  

I am willing to pay a bit extra for the sony, however, not twice as much.  I am partial to vintage gear.

There is an audio show next month in Florida, I will be attending, maybe I will find something there.

Jose
Yes.  It will be my first time to attend an audio show.

You know,  the search started out pretty simple/basic, it has consumed as of late...

Jose
@lewm 
Sorry for the confusion.   What I meant,  was that I would be able to audition other TT.

I will look at the Rega.

I'm looking at some SP 10 MK2&3 as well. 

I will look into it.   I have to register and hopefully, they can ship.

On another note. I've been a lurker here and the other common audio sites for years,  time has passed, financially I'm doing MUCH better.  I appreciate everyone's input / advice.   I like collecting,  and don't mind overpaying (rare / collectable) some....however, $5-$8K is much more than than I care to.

Jose
@Jones.  I sent an email asking what the shipping cost would be.  I'm waiting for a response.   

If I understand correctly,  seller sends to auction site and they ship to buyer.?

By the way,  I bought a Basis 2500 with vacuum locally, temporary..

Jose
I will be bidding on the Yahoo auction. 

There has to be a premium for one serviced and in pristine condition.  If we are suggesting the price (selling) should be $5 - 6K; what should the premium (adder) be??  Also, the total has to reflect performance and collectability ..?

Jose
The response I received, tells they are limited by size and weight (Japan Post),  However,  the "aledo" website says they can ship anywhere in the world with little restrictions, they contradict themselves... I emailed back, asking if they will or not, ship using other means.  Waiting for response. 

Jose
I did not participate in the bidding (yahoo Japan).  Aledo states, Japan Post has size and weight restrictions, the TT exceeds all the restrictions.

Currently, I am looking at a Plantine Verdier.  Opinions??

Jose
Within exchanged emails (5) with "aledo", I was constantly reminded of size/weight restrictions...thus my apprehension.  I  didn't want to pay for something and no way of getting it home.  The other stated issue, were the shipping charges.

I bought the Basis locally.  It is an upgraded 2500 with a micro Benz cart.   When said and done,  I will place it in my 2nd system.   The Verdier seams like a cool table.  Thinking of purchasing as to hear/play with it.  I  was rushing a purchase(ps x9), and came very close to paying $13K.  I will wait for a classic to come available at a good price. 

Jose

@lewm 
No worries.  No offense taken. On that note (direct drive) there are nice examples readily available,  I've considered.   My experience is limited and thus defer to the experience of you fine members. 

Jose
@ct0517 
thank you, PM sent.

I don't care to modify, much less park it.  Gentlemen, I have had a modest technics 1200 for 30 years...just looking for a cool (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), good sounding TT with some collectability value.

I appreciate all the patience/help given.
Regards,
Jose

regards
@uber. Did you buy the TT from Yahoo auctions??

Well to scratch my itch, I bought a Verdier.   I also bought a 3 arm capable Final audio research VTT-1.

I'm sure in the near future a PS X9 or Dennon will come my way. 

Jose

Gentlemen, I will have to start a new thread.   However,  I have  received my "Final Lab VTT-1 reference ".  It must weigh 70lbs, maybe more,  It is a thing of beauty! How do I post a picture here??
@betamax - in the event you want to sell your TT, contact me, maybe we can agree on a transaction.

As previously posted, I ended up purchasing the following;

1.  Final Audio VTT-1 - this thing is a monster and plays wonderful.         3 arm capacity.    
2.  Verdier Plantine - @ CT0517 - has been extremely helpful in                regards to set up. A lively TT, I highly recommend.
3.  Basis Audio 2500 with the vacuum platter option. 

While at the Florida audio show, I auditioned a DSA phono and purchased the unit here on Agon.

I need to upload some pictures of my set up...

Thank you all for your input.

Jose
@lewm - my wife and I had dinner with him (Doug Hurlburt of DSA); a generous and respectful person.  I must say, to my ears the DSA audio room was one of the best sounding of the show, Michael Fremer spent much time there. I would have loved to have heard Mr. Hullburts amps paired to the MBL speakers.  his phono impressed me enough that I had to purchase one. 

Regards,
Jose
@petg60   I considered the TTS 8000, but was impressed by the Final Audio Lab research VTT-1, and thus bought it.  Eventually, I will get rid of the other Tables mentioned.  Believe it or not, the Basis and  Verdier are good sound tables.  One can do better, but as you state, there is much worse than either of these two...

Best,

Jose