Something just isn't there

I'm hoping some of you with experience can help me evaluate my system. It is, of course, hard to put words on sonic character but sometimes it just isn't there. My system is quite detailed and can have a very nice soundstage but rarely does it grab me. 

The system:Magnum Dynalab MD209 hybrid tube/SS amp,
Manley Chinook tube phono preamp,
Oracle Alexandria factory refurbished,
Oracle Prelude tonearm
Ortophon MC 20 super cart
Joseph Audio RM22si speakers
Audioquest Caldera speaker wire. 

As I have been upgrading the system, I'm left thinking that either speakers or room treatment need attention next.
My room is approximately 12x25with hardwood floor, hard surfaces including art and wooden furniture, two big sofas, and several doorways and windows.   My wife won't take kindly to funky acoustic treatments.Of course the speakers and cartridge are just plain old.  I find auditioning speakers daunting and worry that the showroom experience will not be representative of my home and my electronics. 
Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
Kevin

128x128lobsterotter
Yes one thing that is often "not there" is actually physically feeling the music as well as hearing it.     
I might suggest a couple of things to try.....

First is to move the speakers around.  Look for a change is sweet spot in the room.  Change your listening position. 

And I noticed a sudden lifelessness in my own system the other evening.  I noticed that I had accidentally hit the Invert button on the remote for my Herron VTSP-3A preamp and inverted the absolute phase across the entire system.  I hit the Invert button and changed back to normal absolute phase and the system woke up again. 

So maybe try inverting the leads on both speakers to see if that doesn't make a difference. 

Don't ask me, I used to never believe in absolute phase, but it made a difference on this occasion for me in my system.   

This is a great thread.

It has really helped me listen to and think about the sound.  Interesting about the visceral physical part of the experience.  I suppose this has to do with focused energy, even at low volume levels.  I could imagine when dissipated or conflicted the energy pattern will be heard and felt as weaker.  I feel like this part is missing for me.

Ok, I looked at the SR HFT. Small metal pieces with a concave conical shape.   I gotta admit that seems a stretch, but of course I haven't experienced them myself. 

Over the holidays, Ill be playing with a lot of the ideas above:  speaker placement, taming the room, tube dampers, fuse replacement, new isolating feet for the phono preamp.  I may even begin to look at the daunting issue of ICs and power cords. 

lobsterotter ...

Those little HFT's may look like the little guy getting the sand kicked in his face by the bully, but as soon as you have them installed, you'll realize the HFT's are the ones doing the azz kicking. :-)

As I said, they are not subtle. 

room treatment is the missing part of alot of sound not being up to snuff...went through it and thought i was doomed...1st refects and corner bass traps...speakers (behind) got the main mojo traps...simple...didnt have to do ceiling,ect.... lot of the times thought i needed new amp,new source...bs