Some Stereo Speakers Appropriate to my Setup and Around $500 or Less (if possible)

Hi.  First post here.  Looks like a good forum.

First, my system:

Denon AVR-1912
Oppo BDP-93

The "home theater" is in a small living room, wood floor with an area rug, plaster walls, the usual furniture: chair, couch, etc.

I've had a cheap Infinity 5.1 speaker set for 10 years or more and they are finally burning out.

My plan is to start with a pair of stereo speakers, as in the old days, for the purposes of listening to music.  Genres are all along the spectrum -- mainly rock, folk rock, singer-songwriter, blues, but also classical and jazz, though not much hip-hop.  Can't say speaker selection would be based on a specific genre.  I want a good, solid, fairly clean pair of stereo speakers for music, but with the option of adding on satellites at a later date for movies that make use of 5.1 and also audio CDs that are mixed for 5.1.  

Is this possible?  Any recommendations for a "decent" pair of stereo speakers for around $500 that would work with my system and room?

Thanks!

Paul Spillenger

spillenger

Showing 2 responses by kalali

An audiophile friend of mine recently bought a pair of Wharfedale 10.2 speakers - hooked to Creek Evolution 50A integrated, for his son's birthday. I heard them last week and I thought they sounded really good in his moderately small bedroom. The system sounded full and crisp. Not sure how much he paid but I'm sure he did plenty of research before he picked the set.  

I was (very) lucky to find a pair of Vandersteen 2Ci speakers with Sound Anchor stands locally and bought them about a month ago. They look truly brand new and I only paid $450.They do come up for sale occasionally but they are very heavy, especially with the stands so the shipping cost may be very high. They sound excellent even after so many years and would have been worth it even at 3-4 times the price I paid. They replaced a pair of a year old Magnepan MMGs that I was also lucky to find used locally, around the same price. Only had them for two months but had to let them go when I found the 2Cis and can not be happier with my decision. If going the used route, depending on where you live, there are great bargains out there. Just need to keep your eyes open and look, and be a little patient. All the best.