Solidsteel Racks

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with Solidsteel racks and their customer service? I wanted to order the HF-4 rack, as it's big enough to hold my McIntosh amp and I like the way it looks. That said, it's listed as temporarily out of stock on Crutchfield and an email sent to the company a few days ago has gone unanswered. Should I just move on to another company? Suggestions? (I don't want an all wood rack. I like the look of the metal legs and black shelves).
Ag insider logo xs@2xmayoradamwest

I had a SolidSteel rack for awhile. I bought it as a demo from Music Direct. I would highly recommend them. I replaced my SolidSteel rack with a  Zoethecus rack. I have all tube electronics and the difference was huge. Especially with the amp. I was not that impressed with the SolidSteel racks. They really are not much better than the Target rack I had in the late 1980s.

hi @lostbears I've seen you post that many times here on Audiogon, but that's the only signal I have at the moment (other than the unanswered email). Which rack specifically did you get from them? 

As for other options, I really haven't found many that fit my aesthetic. The Zoethecus racks don't really appeal much to me.

I believe I had the 5 series. This was a few years ago. Each shelf sat on special cones. But he shelves were nothing special. One of the things that I think makes the Zoethecus racks really good are the Z Slab shelves. They are a composite of many layers including ones to shield from RF. The shelve on a lot of racks are just covered MDF. 

I would not choose a rack just on looks. Vibration control and isolation is also important.

I have 2 solid steel 5 racks. Must be 10yrs old now. Filled the legs/shelf supports with sand. One of them supports my turntable which sits on 80lbs of layered granite. I think they are excellent stands although as said shelves could be improved.
@lostbears I'm not sure how that translates to the current Solidsteel lineup. They do offer a ceramic shelf option. As for Zoethecus - I'm glad you like yours, but I have all SS devices, I don't even think Zoethecus is still in business? and either way I have about -42 interesting in the aesthetic of their racks. 

That said, I'll give Solidsteel another day and then move on to something else. It's depressing how bad customer service these days. I just ran a few errands and stopped a car dealer in hopes to check out a future purchase. There were maybe a dozen people wandering around and the only 2 salesman I could see were helping other people. No one offered to help any of the people there who were clearly looking for help. Most I saw ended up just leaving. 

As for Solidsteel - how hard is to reply to simple emails from potential customers? It's 2018. Email should be treated almost no different than a phone call.