So you think wire conductors in cables are directional? Think again...

Here is a very relevant discussion among physicists about the directionality...the way signal and electrons should flow... based on conductor orientation. Some esoteric, high-end manufacturers say they listen to each conductor to see which way the signal should flow for the best audio quality.

Read this discussion. Will it make you rethink what you’re being told and sold?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-a-copper-conductor-directional.975195/
edgewound
The thing with uber expensive cables is the marketing claims that are flat out outrageous at AUDIO FREQUENCIES. These things can be measured. Differences in measurements at AUDIO FREQUENCIES can be heard.
uh, sorry to inform you but intermixing harmonics and their result in how they are handled at the ear, deals with an expression in ultrahigh frequencies and down to the bottom. Basically dc to light speed kind of frequency response requirement, in audio cables. with zero problems in any area and zero preload (or load of the microsecond moment in play) interference in any slew up or slew down of any kind of complex load.

audio cables are easily seen and explained as the most complex signals that are dealt with in the world of electronics and signal transfer. easily. I’ll say it again. Easily.

When this was explained to a person who works at the peak of telecommunications industry and deals with the physics of various forms of transmission, they ended up agreeing. This is a person, btw..that basically has their masters in the physics of signal transmission.

Audio covers more octaves than ANY other kind of signal and it does it right from DC and on up. It is a hellaciously complex and wideband signal. It is the only one that has such extreme range, and it continually goes through the skin effect region in all of it’s complexities, overall. The interactions with the dynamic aspects of the impedance and the entire reactive and interactive aspects of the fundamental physics of a transmission line, are off the scale, compared to all other signals.

Audio is the ultimate stress test of an electrically based transmission line.

So, please, get a grip. Go talk to an expert if you can’t figure it out. Get educated.

teo_audio1,885 posts05-27-2021 2:46pm
The thing with uber expensive cables is the marketing claims that are flat out outrageous at AUDIO FREQUENCIES. These things can be measured. Differences in measurements at AUDIO FREQUENCIES can be heard.
uh, sorry to inform you but intermixing harmonics and their result in how they are handled at the ear, deals with an expression in ultrahigh frequencies across a basically dc to light speed kind of frequency response requirement, in audio cables.
audio cables are easily seen and explained as the most complex signals that are dealt with in the world of electronics and signal transfer. easily. I’ll say it again. Easily.

When this was explained to a person who works at the peak of telecommunications industry and deals with the physics of various forms of transmission, they ended up agreeing. This is a person, btw..that basically has their masters in the physics of signal transmission.
So, please, get a grip. Go talk to an expert if you can’t figure it out. Get educated.

Show me your evidence. Don’t tell me. I have friend that’s a PhD in physics. Experts in science require evidence. So far, you’ve provided none to the discussion.
oldhvymec2,960 posts05-27-2021 2:41pmOP if your version of "Frat boy" is a LOT of us agree cables sound different, you’re right. If you install them one way and there are NO ARROWS and then install it the other way and DO or DON’T hear a difference, what camp does that put someone in?

Like a few poster here believe in bundles of cables, others mix and match, others zip cord.

I don’t think there are TWO camps, I think there are several different ideas, and not all will pass scrutiny. The neat part is it (how it sounds or doesn’t) can be ignored by ME or YOU. Still doesn’t change the fact someone has a better sounding system even though you or I can’t hear the difference that others can.

When two people have the exact same boxes, ALL the same. The room, the preamp, the amp, the speaker boxes, EVERYTHING is the same and the only difference is cabling.. That is an eye opener. That is what changed my mind 40 years ago on "different", cables sound different ways..

I truly think the biggest issue is not direction (I thought that was figured out 30 years ago) per say but SIZE. Bigger is not better, but it sure will do damage because of WEIGHT and size..

I’ve seen more than a few systems sound BAD behind BIG PC and oversized speaker ICs. Direction is a bonus and pays dividends in the construction of cables right on down to how you coil up a cable when IN use or NOT.

I suppose static discharge/drop and flop cabling sounds as good a carefully routed, pre coiled, pre conditioned, terminal end treated (with contact enhancer) cabling..

I really thought "Cable Direction" was a 30 year OLD topic.

Are there 20K speaker cables? Only if someone else pays for them.. Not ME..

I just looked at a 15K piece of stained glass that someone else commissioned to be made.. NOT ME!! I'm a 300.00 kind of guy and get out the soldering iron and glass cutter.. :-)

Amazing!

I've recently seen speaker cables advertised from a manufacturer that are $30K for an 8 foot pair. 
Thank God I'm a mechanic. I don't have to prove it I just had to fix it.. the proof is in the pudding.. :-)

PHDs is the name of a great band.. NO place for it here fella, sorry..

Prove it.. funny if nothing else.. A lot of great ideas right here on AG..

Pay attention your close to corner time.. that pointed hat and facing the corner gets old.. Prove it.. PAY ME.. I'll prove it.. How's that.. LOL

If we have to keep repeating stuff were gonna have to start charging by the line.. That was part of the collective bargaining agreement..

No Freebies after the second time.. :-)

Regards

taras22
380 posts
05-27-2021 2:39pm
how much air is in a room at any given moment
....?....

Since it is " at any given moment" we can rule out altitude issues. Then we have to assume that air pressure changes over a given moment are at play and that would require air movement. So, any thoughts about how the direction of the air flow would affect the sound ? ( you know, as it moves in and out of the room ).

Cheers

That's a great question. Air is the medium that carries sound waves in a listening room...unless your listening under water...where sounds waves travel faster. Notice how sound is different on a hot clear day vs. humid day vs. cold, cloudy, or especially foggy day?

Would it make sense that the changes in atmospheric conditions in a room would have an influence of soundwave transmission? No medium...no sound. Sound travels through different mediums at different speeds. That's something you can find with a Google search.