Snell EIV: refoam or replace?

Hi all,

Well, I knew there had to be something wrong with my second (office) system; sound was out of balance. So I popped off the grills and sure enough the foam surround on the woofer on the right speaker is shot. So the question is, refoam or replace? These Snell's are nice speakers, but I expect that if I take them to the repair shop, they will insist (rightly) on inspecting them thoroughly, find crossovers that need replaced, etc. yada yada, and the whole job (gotta refoam both if you're going to do one!) will cost a at least $150, maybe considerably more. No DIY for me, btw.

I'm kinda tired of dealing with old equipment that ends up needing fixed, and am thinking of just springing for something new and budget -- this is a second system, after all. I have long and maybe perversely wanted to try some Infinity Primus p360 (current version is p363); these can be had for $400/pr new and shipped. They do not have the "breed" of the Snell's (although I think they may have the same designer, Kevin V.) and are by no means true high end. But they got a very nice review in Stereophile,and people seem to love 'em -- some fanatically. The main complaints are that they are too flat in response, and not bass-y enough, for the HT crown, which is just fine by me. (Or maybe there is something else -- Wharfedale evo2-20?)

So, what do you think? Patch 'em up, or get something new and shiny?

Thanks for the advice!

Richard
rnm4

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

I've purchased parts from Bill, numerous times: (http://www.millersound.net/service.htm) He's a very knowledgeable, honest businessman, and I recommend him highly.