Shootout of Nos 6sn7 tubes

I will have shootout between TS BGRP, RCA vt231, KR vt231, Syl vt231, Raytheon vt 231 and "Bad boy" next weekend.

If I get MELZ 6N8S 6SN7 Metal Base next week, then I will also include it in shootout

RCA5691, Psavne Acme 300B, Psavne Acme 805 are also being used in Line Magnetic 508 amplifier.

Speaker will be Lansche 4.1 with plasma tweeter.

Digital source will be Dave and HMS fed by ripped CD stored in ssd drive of Cocktail audio x30.

I will play

Eva Cassidy's 'Autumn Leaves"

"Trinity Sessionn " by Cowboy Junkies

For classical orchestra, "Trittico" directed by Fennel.

"Still harry after all these years" will be for fusion jazz.

Any more suggestion gentlemen and ladies.

Thomas
128x128shkong78

Showing 6 responses by rodman99999

"The only new thing I found out is that TS brgp is over hyped."           Perhaps, to YOU and your tastes/biases/budget.               There’s a reason, that the Tung-Sol round plate is so popular and has been, for so many decades (even at one of the highest prices, for a 6SN7) and- that reason’s NOT, "hype".
It’s been my experience; everything matters, when it comes to life-like sound reproduction.                I’m not going to skimp on what produces the sound, that’s being projected into my (already maximized) listening room.       What would have been the point, of making all my other system/room upgrades?       Last week; I paid close to $600 (with shipping/insurance), for Brent Jessee’s last pair of round plate Tung-Sols.       These are the forth pair, that I’ve had in my Carys, in the past couple decades.       They proved my top pick, from the upper dozen+, of the Chimera tube trials.        I’ve tried them in concert (splitter and driver), with every other top rated tube, on that list, over those years.       Currently, using a pair of Sylvania, bottom-gettered, 2 hole/T plates, from 1952.         I’ll never regret one cent, spent on any of those T-S beauties! They’ve consistently allowed whatever comes before, to pass without editorializing.      Of course; that’s just my opinion and- who am I to say, what’s right in your room?
This thread prompted me, to look at my tube stash.    If anyone wants to audition the Ken-Rad, bottom gettered, black glass, 6SN7GT/VT-231/JAN CKR; I just counted eleven.    All from the early 40's and still new.    Even one pair marked, "Tung-Sol 6SN7GT".   Yeah; they're another one, that I liked with my round plates.     Never knew there was a Melz metal base.     The internals resemble the round plate's (X2).      It'll be interesting, to hear your reactions.
@markusthenaimnut-   "Do you think you need to be concerned with burn in when you are testing these tubes?"                Like virtually everything else, in this hobby, people will argue, forever, about that.     My experience parallels that of Brent Jessee, who’s considered (by many) an expert, regarding NOS valves.     Here’s a verbatim excerpt, from an instruction/info sheet, he included with my tube purchase:    "New tubes need a break in period before they can exhibit their true sonic character when used in audio circuits.    Preamp tubes especially benefit from a good break-in.    This period may vary widely, but NOS vintage tubes usually need at least 48 hours of use, sometimes up to 100 hours.     New current production tubes need 24-48 hours typically."
luisma- If you like the short-bottle, 6SN7W: you should try the tall-bottle (metal or plastic/6SN7W or A), if you haven't already.      I used those, for around 15 years (in concert with my TSRPs, as they seemed to provide better Bass slam, as well as sweeter highs, than the short ones, in my amps.      Same wonderful ambiance recovery and over-all, uncolored tonality.
Damn it, shkong78-     Why didn’t you do this shootout, and test those Russkie tubes, a month ago?      I’d have been looking for a pair of those, instead of buying the T-S’s.       Now, I have to start shopping again.     Thanks, pal!      ps: What’s that seller’s eBay moniker?