Shootout of Nos 6sn7 tubes

I will have shootout between TS BGRP, RCA vt231, KR vt231, Syl vt231, Raytheon vt 231 and "Bad boy" next weekend.

If I get MELZ 6N8S 6SN7 Metal Base next week, then I will also include it in shootout

RCA5691, Psavne Acme 300B, Psavne Acme 805 are also being used in Line Magnetic 508 amplifier.

Speaker will be Lansche 4.1 with plasma tweeter.

Digital source will be Dave and HMS fed by ripped CD stored in ssd drive of Cocktail audio x30.

I will play

Eva Cassidy's 'Autumn Leaves"

"Trinity Sessionn " by Cowboy Junkies

For classical orchestra, "Trittico" directed by Fennel.

"Still harry after all these years" will be for fusion jazz.

Any more suggestion gentlemen and ladies.

Thomas
128x128shkong78
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raytheon-JAN-CRP-6SN7GT-VT-231-Vacuum-Tubes-1944-Balanced-Matched-on-Hickok/392787627010?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2

I won this Raytheon Vt231 tube at Ebay auction at 50$ on May 11th.
Including shipping and tax, total cost was 65$ on me.

After receiving this one yesterday, I replaced Melz 1578 with this RT vt213 for examination and comparison purpose this afternoon.

Wow this is the best 65$ that I had spent on audio gadget.
While 1578 sound more dynamic with nice decays, wider soundstage, this RT sound little bit more clean on treble.

The only downside of Melz 1578 is some crackle noise before warmup.

Most of crackle noise is gone after 10 minutes warmup but compared with RT vt231, I noticed slight high frequency noise.

Overall I am still of the opinion that Melz 1578 is the King of 6sn7 with explosive dynamics, deep bass, widest and deepest soundstage.

But valuewise, this Raytheon Vt231 which cost me 65$ is the best value with nice musicality.

I tried the Melz’s 2 years ago, these run hot on my Atmasphere MP-3, bought 2 pairs, 1 tube of each pair died after a few hours, they weren’t that special IMO on my gear, I remember not much bass and very bright, but the RCA red base that it is supposed to be very good too wasn’t that special either. From most tubes I tried Raytheon gray glass and short bottle Sylvania 6SN7W were among the best, I settled for new production Chinese CV181-Z. Let me post a picture of the remaining Melz.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x3dhhpbqoc2qjgq/AAC69xScWKrlfDY4aN0tHKhLa?dl=0
Thank you to the OP for taking the time to go over this

Oh I paid $10 for each Melz, there are plenty of old 6N8S like the Melz but black bases OTK, although not the same quality as the Melz should be very close and cheaper.
luisma- If you like the short-bottle, 6SN7W: you should try the tall-bottle (metal or plastic/6SN7W or A), if you haven't already.      I used those, for around 15 years (in concert with my TSRPs, as they seemed to provide better Bass slam, as well as sweeter highs, than the short ones, in my amps.      Same wonderful ambiance recovery and over-all, uncolored tonality.
@luisma

Sorry to  hear your bad experience.

But I think you did not get Melz 1578 at 10$ per tube.

Melz1578 is a special one which cost 100$ per tube or more.

I am enjoying Grieg Piano Concerto  through Melz 1578 now.

I can definitely claim this is the best 6sn7 tube so far.

ButI do not mind using other excellent vt 231s to taste different flavor from time to time.
you should try the tall-bottle (metal or plastic/6SN7W or A),
Thanks but I think that is unobtanium

But I think you did not get Melz 1578 at 10$ per tube.
don't know why you would have to doubt my statement but that's ok, 2 years ago the Melz were not in the demand they are today, as a matter of fact there are more on Ebay today that back then