Shelter 901 with VPI JMW9 Signature

Taking the advice I got at Audio Revelation, I got the 901 after upgrading to the signature arm. The tracking problems I had with the Blackbird / Regular 9 arm are a thing of the past. Even my most difficult albums track perfectly. There is no resonant frequency problem. The effective mass for the Signature arm has been increased.

As for sound, I get great detail, great bass and treble extension, liquid sexy midrange. I love female vocalists, so thats important to me. I don't have enough experience with different carts to judge speed, but I don't feel there is a problem at all with the 901. It is a significant improvement over the Sumiko Blackbird. Less grain, more coherent presentation. I just got the Patricia Barber lps..Cafe Blue- 45 rpm, and A Fortnight in Paris. My God, I thought I was able to make love to her right in my listening room. Talk about soundstage! I have had the Shelter now for 3 months, at least 150 hrs logged.

I do jazz and classical, some rock. VPI Scoutmaster, JMW 9 Sig, Shelter 901 cart, Musical Fidelity A308, feeding AES 6 Pack Tube Monoblocks, JM Labs Signature 927 Be Speakers.
dolifant

Showing 1 response by seasoned

Seems we have a lot in common - I too share your love of analog and jazz female vocalists, PB is awesome! I am seriously considering getting a Scoutmaster and JWM9. I was even thinking about a Shelter cartridge (probably 501) but for now, using my existing CA Virtuoso Wood. This would be an upgrade over an older SOTA table with SME 309. Glad you mentioned about the incompatibility and correction – this is good information. So, do you think my switching tables and arms will actually be an upgrade or step sideways?