SET the best?

Is SET amplification where we should all end up? I keep reading posts where people tell of their journeys from plenty power to micro power, and how amazing SET amplification is 45 set 211 set 845 set otl, and usually, ....with the right speaker. I have yet to read of anyone who has gone the other direction from SET, to High watt beast class A amps or others.
If your speakers can be driven by minimal wattage, is this the most realistic, natural sound we can achieve? versus say, 86db sensitive speakers and a 1000w amp?
Is the end result solely based on speaker pairing? circuit? tubes?

I am in the process of changing my direction in my search for realistic sound, just because, and wondering if this really is the best direction to be going.
From what I have been reading I think it may be.

What do we get with SET? What do we give up?

What's you favorite color?
hanaleimike

@mozartfan ,

in the video running both a coax tweeter and a second tweeter in paralell off-axis will reult in a blurred soundstage, partial cancellation of frequencies through overlap as well as issues of phase coherence. I’d suggest to use a supertweeter with the Coax driver instead. On bass, similar issues apply although localisation is less critical. The SET looks intereting and you rightly point out the importance of transformers.

SET  the ultimate musical experience, 2nd to none. 

Since its Xmas time

A Musical magical Wonderland

Willinston 100 vs Muzishare 100

Going with the Muzi as it has TWO 12ax7's, vs the  one  12AX7 of Willinston

Both are incredible amplifiers. 

My speakers are 95.5db sensitive which allows me to use low powered amps. I’ve come full circle from large speakers, big heavy tube amps, etc … to a minimalist system that uses a single stage amp w 18wpc. Less is more ! Everything sounds better with less power, less components, etc..  

I spent lots of money to learn that you don’t need to spend lots of money to get good sound.. IME

My first system back in the early 70’s was a 2A3 tube amp and a pair of plywood lowthers ..  I didn’t realize then how good it was.. I only focused on the lack of bass and spent mad money buying large everything to make bass..  I have to laugh at myself.. now I have it all with less. Just hope I live long enough to keep enjoying what I have..  No regrets, enjoyed the chase.. but now just enjoying the music ..

antigrunge2674 posts 11-27-2021 6:06am @mozartfan , in the video running both a coax tweeter and a second tweeter in paralell off-axis will reult in a blurred soundstage, partial cancellation of frequencies through overlap as well as issues of phase coherence. I’d suggest to use a supertweeter with the Coax driver instead. On bass, similar issues apply although localisation is less critical. The SET looks intereting and you rightly point out the importance of transformers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ In theory, dual tweeters (FR’s tweeter + Philips) might work out as conflicting higher end fq’s mashing together,,,but in real time all sounds very natural, nothing Consider Tekton’s multi tweet design, Folks love em. Yes my tech hammers on trans quality. Colbalt trans, EVEN IF still in production are wayyy out my budget. Most higher end chines SETs are using Z11, which offers a pretty good band for the buck. With me its all about speakers, less trans quality/amp design. I’m looking at a 845 now and the one reason I’m considering the model over all overs has 300B as driver + two 12AX7’s.

But then again the 12AX’s will be bypassed anyway, going with the PRE OUT which is the main reason going with this amplifier.

If you think dual tweets might cause high fq’s distortion, next week I will be testing dual FR, W8 + W6. Which some DIYers suggested it can’t be done, **we tried it**

look at all the big names in xovers speakers, multiple drivers in all fq’s. Seas Thors has dual W18’s. Wonderful speaker, no muddy bass/mids whatsoever, Just pure music. My FR has surpassed Seas by a significant margin. FR speakers experience is something like a SET experience. Both components  are magical.

SETs do things a  PP amplifierr can not

FR do things a  xover speaker can not. 

I'am agreed it is not good idea to use full range speakers in parallel with tweeter.

Tweeters shouldn't play anything below 10KHz.

That is the reason why most of famous producers like JBL, Harbeth, Tannoy use super tweeters with 3rd order high frequency filters.

When 2 driver play together in upper midrange up to 10KHz it leads to distortion, harsh sound, ruins soundstage, lack of smoothness and mask details.

Regards,

Alex