SEAS Thor Speaker / NCMS Rhythm 9500 Unlimited

I've read about these new speakers from SEAS designed by Dr.Joseph D'Appolito and have quite an interest in them. The most recent issue of Audio Express talks about them at length and they look to be a really nice design for those of us who like a well built transmission line speaker. If you haven't seen them yet got to http://www.madisound.com and go to "kits" and they're at the bottom.

My question is,"Has anyone heard these speakers or tried to build them yet?" I'm curious for some input if you have heard them. I don't like the fact that Madisound has opted to delete the base plinth that was part of the original design so I will most likely have to build the cabinets myself. The article has a mini review but I'm looking for more reactions to these speakers.

The other kit that I've been looking at is the North Creek Music Systems / Rhythm 9500 Unlimited. Again, if you have not seen it check out, http://www.northcreekmusic.com/NorthCreekKits.html
Costwise the NCMS Rhythm 9500 Unlimited is qiute a bit more expensive but comes from some great sound guru's. Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.

Thanks,
128x128bryhifi

Showing 2 responses by bryhifi

Thanks guys, I'm still not sure which one I'm going to go with yet. I really don't want to give up bass extension at all if possible. Some have commented that the Thor will not extend down to much below 40hz where as the NCMS Ryhthm does at least get down to 30hz with more output. I don't need them to play loud but rather full balanced at low volumes for nocturnal listening if you know what I mean. I've got 2 pairs of quality speakers that can more than handle the mid to live levels of acoustic music but seem to collapse at very low levels. These effects happen in either system and either room of mine.

The system that I use late nights is in a 19'x16'x8' living room at the other end of the house as to not keep my wife awake. My dedicated room is directly under the master bedroom and is too large(28x16x10) for low level listening. The night system consists of BAT VK-3i & VK-200, Proceed PDT-mkIII, Krell Studio dac.

If there is another kit or homebrew that you think would work better in this room and system please feel free to say so.

**Karl, which Vandy's do you have?
Just returned from Jamaica then Hilton Head,,,,,3 weeks without access to the net!

I still have not made up my mind yet on which one, but the itch is getting intense! I've got to do something soon!!!!

Trelja, I think we need to get in touch again. As always your points carry much validity and your interest in speakers sparks my old time passion for them. If you remember, we live rather close to each other. (Discussed Community Audio) Your preference for Vifa is a solid one. I used them to a great degree back in the late 80's to early 90's for custom built jobs and they always won the price/performance contest.

Keith, thanks for the direct comparison between the 2 kits! That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Question??? Since you built your Thors last year which cabinet plan did you end up using? There was discussion of the original plans at SEAS website being preliminary blue prints and ended up not being what J.D. finished with.

Tweekerman, Thank you for all your input on this topic too. I love your enthusiasm for the hobby! Keep me posted if you hear anything else at M.A.D. please. I've got a ton of catching up to do after being away for 3 weeks and know I will miss something.

Best Regards,