Searching for matching(?) Subwoofer solution

Hi folks,

I have a relatively new setup in my home office (12' x 14' with hardwood floor) and am seeking recommendations for a subwoofer solution.

Speakers: Ologe 5
Preamp:    Bryston P26 
Amp:         Forte 1A
Budget:     Flexible but just want something to provide a good match for the above components.
Music:       Mostly Classical and Jazz.  Some rock, some fusion.
Source:     Well, that's something else I am seeking advice on too and will post under the appropriate discussion topic

Problem is none of the local Hi Fi shops here in the Boston area have any experience with, let alone heard of Ologe speakers.  Couldn't get any recommendations there.

Has anyone owned or at least listened to these speakers? Or any of the other Ologe speakers?
The Ologe site (http://www.ologe-acoustic.com/) features a subwoofer called Ologe 20 at USD $8550.  
Just wanted to look into alternatives before dropping over 8 grand on the Ologe 20.
 I am open to but don't know much about subwoofer swarms.

I am not looking for anything overkill.  Just a subwoofer solution to nicely complement my somewhat modest home office system.

Thanks,
H
hleeid
mijostyn: "Tim, in this case I don't think psycho-acoustics is the reason."   "when a concept is counter intuitive it usually means it was not explained well."

Hello mijostyn/Mike,

I think we have different ideas concerning what qualifies as psychoacoustics.  Psychoacoustics is the scientific study of sound perception and audiology—how humans perceive various sounds. More specifically, it is the branch of science studying the psychological and physiological responses associated with sound (including noise, speech and music).  I think you're right, masking and volume could be construed as part of that definition, they're just not the primary examples that I usually think of.
    I also believe my explanation of the DBA concept and the psychoacoustic dynamics involved was sufficient. 

When I stated the DBA concept is counterintuitive I was referring to the method of creating more bass peaks, dips and nulls in the room to eliminate the perception of all of them in the room, with our brains being used as a sort of natural room correction software and hardware.  
     Do you think the DBA concept is intuitive?  
     Don't you think the cognitive dynamics involved with the DBA concept fall within the definition and realm of psychoacoustics? 

You're correct, Geddes has stated that good in-room bass response can be attained over a wider area using as few as three subs and good at a single listening position using just two.

Hopefully, Duke will respond to the bass phase issues.  

You have no rear wall in your room for bass soundwaves to reflect off of? You must have very good bass performance along with very high heating and cooling costs.

Tim
Tim, Once I read Gedde's explanation of how DBAs work it makes absolute sense. My problem was that Duke was using terms that I was not familiar with that were not self explanatory. He was talking in a language I did not understand. Now that I know what is going on it makes perfect sense and is indeed intuitive. However it has limitations the biggest one is that you have to keep the crossover under 60 Hz or it will start messing up your image. This may work well for people with regular point source speakers that get down to 40 Hz ok. I firmly believe that with any dipole speaker, Planar magnetic, ribbon or ESL you have to cross up higher at least at 100 Hz. This disqualifies a DBA. On the other hand my way of doing things may not work well with regular dynamic speakers. Pick your poison:)

My media room is 16 X 25 feet. The back wall is 75% open to the kitchen and then 30% open to the dinning room the back wall of which is 75 feet away. So, the back wall reflection is broken up all over the place. I designed it that way. Between my speakers is a 113" diagonal Stewart screen the idea being that I can either listen to music or watch TV while cooking and having dinner. The projector hangs from the ceiling.  

Mike
Ok. So after researching the wonderful resources about subwoofers, I think I am beginning to understand nodes, evenness, cancellation, etc. and leaning towards going with the Swarm again.

But Swarm or DEBRA?  Not finding much info about the differences.

Anyone have experience comparing them?

Thanks,
Hans
hleeid they are both doing the exactly the same thing but DEBRA is using bass reflex enclosures and Audiokinesis uses sealed enclosures. I would go with Audiokinesis for two reasons. 1st is I prefer sealed enclosures for subwoofers. 2nd is I just came from the DEBRA web site and the marketing was beyond belief.

Mike
If my 2 RELs (run in mono) seemed to be lacking anything at the 58hz or so point where they match the bass rolloff of my main speakers, I'd consider the "swarm" system, although 4 boxes and the wires are somewhat off-putting. Also, my RELs cost about 200 bucks each used and are perfect, providing a 250 total watt low bass enhancement to the 12wpc SEP main amp, and it all works extremely well with no DSP needed. Big-ish room with very tall sloping ceiling (that helps keep bass sounding right).